Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add Nodes to Path
[attachment=4565 Wrote:Ofnuts pid='18808' dateline='1592692532']I don't like the idea of adding anchors at fixed distances. Paths are basically size-less things. I do have an algorithm to add anchors halfway between current anchors to increase the path "accuracy" (or more accurately, its resilience to mistreatment). It can of course be applied a few more times to divide segments by 2, 4, 8, 16...

As to your sea currents, I would solve that with a totally different script of mine: ofn-tex-along-path (using repeated layout) with an arrow symbol (large choice to cut/paste from here)(*) as the text:

(*) There is a huge set of symbols in the Unicode standard. It also contains emojis now so you can use ofn-tex-along-path to make a crown of poop emojis or a heart of dog heads...
  1. Yes--I like the notion of the text-along-path--going to try for the arrows. The only (possible) problem: I would need a quite small font-size: 1/2 of your example or less: used sometimes with stars and the like, and they are not so good at small sizes. Unfortunately, I don't know of a 'stroke font' with full unicode range--or at least symbols.  
  2. The idea of inserting anchors every 'x' px is, in my opinion, only a means of inserting them at approximately regular intervals: 'x+'/'x-' to increase/decrease the intervals. As the original anchors are kept, the distance cannot be exact, anyway--I see it as 'split regularly...' -> 'no, too many/few splits--let's change the value...'. As a matter of fact, I have used the Inkscape 'Add nodes to paths...' to insert markers: of course, one could use instead 'shape along path -> repeated' (equivalent in many ways to your text along path), but the  markers are controllable by adding/deleting intermeadiate nodes, so IMHO is good to have both options.
Anyway, the choice boils down to 'fill' versus 'stroke': for a map not larger than 600px any way, I always prefer 'stroke'--it's a personal preference.
Here is the the result of 'ofn-text-along-path(multi)' with the arrow at 12px and the same paths as in my first attachment, previous to split:

The problem with font size is apparent: for a fair result, one must (a) duplicate the layer (the path is filled on transparent background) or (b) stroking, besides filling or (c ) use a bold font: all these methods give a coarser result than the simple stroking in my original example...

Messages In This Thread
Add Nodes to Path - by carmen - 06-20-2020, 12:42 PM
RE: Add Nodes to Path - by Blighty - 06-20-2020, 02:11 PM
RE: Add Nodes to Path - by carmen - 06-20-2020, 02:55 PM
RE: Add Nodes to Path - by Ofnuts - 06-20-2020, 10:35 PM
RE: Add Nodes to Path - by carmen - 06-20-2020, 11:41 PM
RE: Add Nodes to Path - by Ofnuts - 06-21-2020, 03:35 PM
RE: Add Nodes to Path - by carmen - 06-21-2020, 05:44 PM
RE: Add Nodes to Path - by carmen - 06-21-2020, 08:28 PM
RE: Add Nodes to Path - by Ofnuts - 06-21-2020, 08:50 PM