Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp won't reopen a saved xcf file!
(07-08-2020, 08:23 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Most likely a MacOS problem. Unfortunately not many Mac users on this formum.

Can you rule that the .xcf file is the overall problem ? Does Gimp open and can you create a new blank canvas as the only open image or can you open any other sort of image without Gimp freezing ?

Probably that .xcf files is junk and corrupt in some way. Is it a large file / many layers ? A very large file might be running out of memory and spooling to disk, getting stuck.

So I do think it was the particular xcf file, however I don't understand why. It's only 2 layers, approx 1300 x 1300 px, one color. I could open Gimp fresh and create something new with a new canvas, but only after closing the program entirely. If I tried to do anything while that file was active, nothing happened. The cursor wouldn't hi light any tool icons, I couldn't zoom in or out, everything lagged. 

Last night I deleted Gimp and re-installed it. Tried to open that same exact file again - it DID open and display the image, but nothing would happen when clicked on (same lagging as stated in prior paragraph). Something that I was able to do though was save my work as a png, delete that xcf file, and start a new canvas with my work... and that is where I am at currently.

Messages In This Thread
Gimp won't reopen a saved xcf file! - by godmoney - 07-07-2020, 10:10 PM
RE: Gimp won't reopen a saved xcf file! - by godmoney - 07-08-2020, 08:21 PM