Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brush/Gradient/Swatch sets vs singles?
(07-11-2020, 10:23 AM)rich2005 Wrote:             The usual disclaimer, very few (none) MacOS users on this forum, they come ask a question and usually never seen again. 

I'm surprised; I wonder what Mac folks are going to from PS, or for GIMP support....  But I tend to be annpyingly chatty, so I don't think I'll be vanishing! LOL

You are going to really struggle if you try and apply PS practice to Gimp. It just does not work the same way. 
            A note about formats, Gimp can use some .abr brushes (version 5 and earlier) but not recent versions.
            your PS pattern and gradient files - not the same format although patterns can be .png or .jpg 

Brushes are mosly from CS5 or earier, so I'll have to tinker and see what I can do there, thank you for that. Yes, it does seem to be a drastically different approach to resources - that will take getting used to.

If MacOS has a 2-pane file manager, you can easily move files in and out of Gimp and refresh without leaving Gimp

Not sure exactly what you mean by that. Of course, I can move files in and about to the GIMP Application package, but doing so while an program is running tweaks every best bractices thing I've ever learend - I would expect that to create some rather unpredeicable behavior? 

There is a resources manager that does that process. The most recent version from Ofnuts (the one I use in linux)
            I can not get to work in the OSX (VM) however an older (Gimp 2.6) version seems to work. 

I'll work with these and look further, and thank you so much for the suggestions. 

Can you answer one other thing, however? Do these resource managers (or GIMP) group resources into sets. Even if/when I can get them campatible, it is the case that the are hangled by GIMP are a single item each, or as a group of patterns gradients, whatever? 

Thanks again for the detailed answer! Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brush/Gradient/Swatch sets vs singles? - by Mithalogica - 07-11-2020, 05:03 PM