Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trouble with addonCollectionManager
(12-02-2020, 11:07 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Still wondering about that E: drive location and your original ini file (see that earlier post)

Code:
Configuration initialized OK
Reading configuration file C:\Users\cfier\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\addonCollectionManager.ini
Configuration file C:\Users\cfier\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\addonCollectionManager.ini read successfully
Creating manager for brushes
Searching directories as E:/GimpResources/brushes_storage/* for brushes
0 directories as E:/GimpResources/brushes_storage/* for brushes
Manager of brushes created OK: active: E:/GimpResources/brushes, stored: E:/GimpResources/brushes_storage, subdir: False, link: False, extensions: (u'.gbr', u'.vbr', u'.gih', u'.abr', u'.GBR', u'.VBR', u'.GIH')
Well--Windows creates its own default folders, appended to \Users. But I avoid them like the plague. Why? Because Windows keeps trying to control them--by giving them its own default configuration, syncronizing to drive (can create havoc with the Calibre library, for instance), etc. You change that today, and as likely as not, some update will undo your customization. Thus, having another partitioned hard disk available (used a partition before adding an SSD), I created a GimpResources folder in one of them, redirected Gimp there for add-ons (after setting the securty permits accordingly), and thus I am sure of controlling everything that goes on there. Besides having shorter paths and not risking losing them on reinstalling windows--C: formatted, other drives (physical or virtual) untouched, as long as they do not contain Windos-controlled folders. Of course, I do manual backups too...
Is a personal choice--but it has worked fine for me for years. With a single drawback: reinstalling windows can change the drive letter--must keep on my toes to update any path affected, as in that configuration file--updated and changed according to the last version of the documentation...

Messages In This Thread
Trouble with addonCollectionManager - by carmen - 12-01-2020, 07:06 PM
RE: Trouble with addonCollectionManager - by carmen - 12-02-2020, 11:49 AM