Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
True white in old black and white photos
(02-09-2021, 11:22 PM)barth90 Wrote: I’m using Gimp 2.10 to  colorize old photos. I have no problem with differents hues. My question is about true white. For example, I have a photo whith snow. On the original, the snow is greyish. If I select white from the palette and using a brush to color the snow, it remains grey. Is it possible to have true white?

Do you want a true white ? Rarely get snow where I live but looking out the window, the snow is white and grey and full of shadows to give it shape.

My suggestion, a bit of pre-processing of the greyscale photo. (In RGB mode) prior to colourizing.
Use a luminosity mask and "tweak" the light areas. This using a LL setting as a selection, adjusted by the color-curves tool.
I do not have a suitable snow scene so a comparison of the BG of this will have to do. 

You can get a luminosity mask plugin from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-too...s/scripts/  download the zip, unzip, read the documentation.

edit: Totally off topic, but amusing - this from the local newspaper
Two arrested after suspected intruders struggled to hide their footprints in the snow

Messages In This Thread
RE: True white in old black and white photos - by rich2005 - 02-10-2021, 09:17 AM