Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Center Text on Path?
(12-23-2022, 10:36 PM)Krikor Wrote: Canuck Sailor,

Maybe the video at https://youtu.be/CHHqlHdmQ0o - Gimp OSX scripts and plugins, can clarify how to install plugins and scripts in gimp.

Hi, and thanks, I'll check that out, see what I can learn. But, got the issue figured out finally, and ofNuts script for curved text works amazingly well. What actually makes me crazy - and I've taught a great deal throughout my life, sailing, swimming, teaching high school, teaching my employees - is that a lot of people assume that the questioner knows more than s/he does. 
The person answering under that assumption skips steps that need to be known to accomplish the goal. Good instruction requires that you enumerate EVERY step, in minute and painful detail. The only assumption one should make is that the person knows nothing. I made that fairly clear up front, for exactly this reason.
I had looked at nearly a dozen youtubes and sites online on how to create a curved script before finding ofNuts stuff. Only one gave a step by step method that led to accomplishing the end result. The rest of them missed important things, knowingly or unknowingly presuming that the reader/viewer knew them.
And not one of them explained how to properly center text on a path, making all of their work useless. And they put themselves out as "pros".
You know what other group is really terrible at explaining their technology, and assuming that people will understand them? Ham radio people. I've yet to meet one who can answer even a simple question without lording it over the questioner - who they make clear they regard as a simpleton for even asking.
Totally turned me off ever joining their little clique, and I've had a ham radio installed on my boat for over ten years now. I'll read the manual, twiddle the knobs, before asking one of those people again.

(12-23-2022, 07:27 PM)denzjos Wrote: @Canuck Sailor, as a 'Boomer' have I learned to use the free gimp program step by step. I can't say I know all the possibilities of the program, but I like it. And I discoverd that there is always someone who want to help if there is a problem with gimp (using their time for free). As I say, it's all about a helping hand, the driver have to take the wheel. One time, even driving with a shift gear goes like a piece of cake. One thing, plugins and scripts are also available for PS and many other programs (as I remember as a Boomer).

Hi Denzjos - I have basic experience with Photoshop from my years as a newspaper publisher and that helps me with the basics. I even have a copy of Photoshop 1.0 in the attic, but I was never great at using the program - I had graphics people then to do that work - but I knew the basics. I'm used to proprietary software, not open source. I do get the difference, and it's in the learning area. Open source, you don't generally have a manual that answers all the questions. With Photoshop, there was always a phone line or email address available for an expert to assist - which is part of the reason the damn program costs so much.

Messages In This Thread
How to Center Text on Path? - by TheHolyTerrah - 03-05-2021, 02:27 PM
RE: How to Center Text on Path? - by rich2005 - 03-05-2021, 02:47 PM
RE: How to Center Text on Path? - by Ofnuts - 12-23-2022, 01:29 AM
RE: How to Center Text on Path? - by denzjos - 12-23-2022, 07:27 PM
RE: How to Center Text on Path? - by Krikor - 12-23-2022, 10:36 PM
RE: How to Center Text on Path? - by Canuck Sailor - 12-24-2022, 10:51 PM