Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semi-transparent background with a gradient.
(04-07-2021, 08:35 AM)Mixxer Wrote: Hi

I have a semi-transparent background with a black gradient circle in the middle. The circle is solid in the middle and gets more transparent as it goes towards the edges. How do I make the background totally transparent without loosing the gradient soft edges? Cutting around won't work. I tried the magic wander but it for some reason selects the whole image. Thanks

You have to edit the alpha channel, which is done by editing the mask:
  • Layer ➤ Mask ➤ Add layer mask and initialize to "Transfer layer's alpha channel"
  • Start the Levels tool (which will apply to the mask)
  • The histogram is likely not reaching the left edge, so just drag the black-point handle to the beginning of the histogram curve to make the least opaque bit fully transparent.
  • You can also play wit the middle handle to adjust how the opacity is reduced.

• Once happy with the result you an apply the mask Layer ➤ Mask ➤ Apply layer mask, but you can also keep the mask around.

You can have even more control with the Curves tools (where you can completely "shape" the opacity change...)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Semi-transparent background with a gradient. - by Ofnuts - 04-07-2021, 09:26 AM