Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calibrating white and black points
Thank you for the Channel tip for selecting the three RGB values, I supposed they worked only separately, one or another.

I possibly haven't written clearly about the color space problem.
I scan in TIF format telling in the scanner to use Adobe RGB space.
When I open the image in GIMP I see the file in automatic sRGB (and now I changed the settings to ask what to do so I can say convert to Adobe RGB).
When I open the image in Photoshop it says the image has no color profile embedded and asks what to do so I say assign Adobe RGB (my standard color profile).

So the point is possibly how to have the scanner to embed the color profile properly, because if I say to the scanner to scan with no color management the image I get is visibly different (duller) than the one scanned with sRGB or Adobe RGB settings (I can't distinguish the two by eye), so the scanner is doing something inside the file but writing it in some place that the editing software can't properly read (?). I have written to Canon assistance for the issue.

I attach here an image of all my settings of my Canon LiDE 400 scanner. 
In the Color Settings tab of the Preferences I have chosen Adobe RGB (left unchecked the "Monitor" box...).
In the Scan tab of the Preferences (not visible in the attached image) there is an option to raise the color depth from 8 to 16 bit but unfortunately GIMP seems to change the Levels highest values from 255 (8 bit deth) to 100 (16 bit depth) and I don't know what values to write in the boxes for my color card if I have 100 value(Lab?), so I leave the color depth to 8 which is enough for the work I have to do.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Calibrating white and black points - by psaccheri@gmail.com - 06-21-2021, 01:09 PM