Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deviations associated with different image processing programs.
Where you are going wrong is that you assume that RAW processing is automatic. It is not. DDP4 gives the same result at the JPEG from the camera because its *default behavior* is to do so, but you typically use RAW when you think the automated processing (in-camera or with DPP4, which uses the camera settings encoded in the file metadata) is not going to cut it and you want to do it yourself.
In fact, with DPP4 you can even go the other way: you take a raw, process it to get the results you expect, and then you can tell DDP4 and the EOS Utility to upload this process "recipe" to the camera as a user setting.

Also, by default your camera settings for JPG are very neutral, because you can always post-process a neutral photo. if you know you won't do post processing on the JPG, you can add more contrast/saturation/sharpening but if this makes more pleasant pictures it also makes them harder to correct.

Personally, I take JPG+CR2, and do the culling on the JPEG. Then there are plenty of pictures for which I know I won't need "deep" post processing (family gatherings, sports events) and for which I discard the CR2 right away (unless I have problems that I can fix with the CR2, such as a bad color balance). I keep the CR2 for picture that have a difficult lighting or that I find very good (rare!)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Deviations associated with different image processing programs. - by Ofnuts - 08-16-2017, 10:45 PM