Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie deal breaker problem
Hi everyone,

A colleague has convinced me to test GIMP instead of my old Paintshop Pro.

I am a casual user, usually just removing an odd frame, blurring the background or layers to create thumbnails or backgrounds for videos, which means opening a file, adding some brushes, using clone brushes and retouch and saving it. That's all.

I just realised I can't do that in GIMP. It always saves the file in a different format, the internal one. I found I need to export the result and can't use png or jpg depending on what format the original was in.

So I read up on this issue here, managed to find the folder and tried to install jpeg.exe and png.exe where both failed due to some other file missing.

I am now at a crossroads whether to upgrade Paintshop Pro or dive into GIMP, where I am unsure whether GIMP is actually the right tool for an infrequent and simple user like me. Will GIMP lead me down a rabbit hole which will require a rethink and redoing my pc to suit GIMP?

I've gone and skimmed through a tutorial and watched a few Davies videos. The scope of the program is impressive, but might just be too much for me, which is why I'd love to hear some users provide user-level feedback what they think.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Messages In This Thread
Newbie deal breaker problem - by FredM - 06-12-2021, 05:09 PM
RE: Newbie deal breaker problem - by rich2005 - 06-12-2021, 05:50 PM
RE: Newbie deal breaker problem - by FredM - 06-13-2021, 08:10 AM
RE: Newbie deal breaker problem - by Ofnuts - 06-13-2021, 08:19 AM
RE: Newbie deal breaker problem - by FredM - 06-13-2021, 09:29 PM
RE: Newbie deal breaker problem - by PixLab - 06-18-2021, 12:35 PM