Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie deal breaker problem
(06-13-2021, 09:29 PM)FredM Wrote: It's not about "allowing" something, for me it's restricting my workflow. I personally, only me, just myself, use jpg for low-res and png for hi-res pictures. I don't need any layer information. I don't need the colour settings etc etc.

That's just me, like I said, a casual user, who only needs some basic functions with some layers, a mask and diffusion effects. So opening a jpg file, adding a few elements via copy/paste, removing background and taking elements and moving them around is basically most of what I need.

So it would be nice for me if I could pre-configure the "save as" to only include the formats I need and not be limited to just a single one.
I hope I did not offend you and you understand where I am coming from.

Don't worry, it takes more than that to offend me.

The default type for saving files doesn't limit you to a single file type - just set it to the type that you use most.

Following a change (which I think it would be correct to say was not universally popular) made some years ago "Save" and "Save as" only apply to files that are being saved in xcf format. For all other types the options are "Overwrite", "Export" or "Export as" - the idea being to emphasise that by saving to formats other than xcf you may be losing data (layers, paths, masks etc). It's a question of getting used to exporting rather than saving.

Quote:I just realised I can't do that in GIMP. It always saves the file in a different format, the internal one. I found I need to export the result and can't use png or jpg depending on what format the original was in.

I'm not sure why you are finding this - the behaviour should be as in the following two paragraphs.

If you have opened a jpg file then, after editing, either select the "Overwrite" option (possibly not the best choice) or use "Export as" to write it to a file with a different name (possibly just a variant letter suffix?) - in this latter case it will by default use a jpg extension, although you can change this using the drop down list.

In the previous paragraph you could replace all occurrences of jpg with png and it would still be correct.

If you are creating new files in GIMP and then exporting them as jpg or png I would set the default file type to the one that you use most then you will have to use the drop down list for less than half (the downside of GIMP supporting many different file types is the length of the drop down list - one solution to this would be to build your own version of GIMP with the list of supported files reduced to xcf, jpg and png)

Hope this helps but let me know if I'm missing the point.

Messages In This Thread
Newbie deal breaker problem - by FredM - 06-12-2021, 05:09 PM
RE: Newbie deal breaker problem - by rich2005 - 06-12-2021, 05:50 PM
RE: Newbie deal breaker problem - by FredM - 06-13-2021, 08:10 AM
RE: Newbie deal breaker problem - by Ofnuts - 06-13-2021, 08:19 AM
RE: Newbie deal breaker problem - by FredM - 06-13-2021, 09:29 PM
RE: Newbie deal breaker problem - by programmer_ceds - 06-14-2021, 04:15 PM
RE: Newbie deal breaker problem - by PixLab - 06-18-2021, 12:35 PM