Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is There An Easy Way To Format For Print?
(06-21-2021, 11:51 AM)rich2005 Wrote: The image is 840 x 1427 pix. That is on the small size and not wonderful quality. Do you have a larger version ? To fit to A4 portrait @ 300 ppi the image will scale almost times four.

However, using what is there, I might use a workflow such as:
Open a new image using the standard Gimp A4 template File -> New -> Template -> A4
Add the image as a layer File -> Open as Layers
Use the Scale tool (shift-S) and the background layer as a guide to scale the layer as a 'fit' over the A4 background.

That leaves a layer larger than the canvas so a tidy up Image -> Fit Canvas to Layers then Layer -> Layer to Image Size then Image -> Zealous Crop   Result should be an image with a size around 3000 x 5000 pix.

Splitting for printing:
Set Guides at 33.3 and 66.7 percent. Image -> Guides -> New Guide (by percent)
Gimp 2.10   Divide the image into three new images (for printing) Image -> Slice Using Guides .
Gimp 2.8     Use Image -> Transform -> Guillotine
Use each of those new images to print on separate A4 sheets. You will need to trim the margin's before glue-ing Wink

All that in a 5 minute video: https://youtu.be/TMANEkM_iw4

Remember to Save  your work as you go along, mishaps do occur.

The Windows Gimp print is a bit flaky, sometimes best to use some other application for printing.

Of course there are always alternatives, https://posterazor.sourceforge.io/ specifically made for such work.

best of luck.

I just came back to this after being away.  The Print/Advanced option doesn't appear on my (Win10) Gimp but all this does and I used it successfully.  Thanks.

What I particularly want to say is thankyou for that brilliant video which I didn't look at before.  It would be  the best instructional video I've ever seen, without doubt.  Absolutely.   Thanks.   Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is There An Easy Way To Format For Print? - by abrogard - 07-02-2021, 08:39 PM