Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make a solid black bar fade out?
(07-10-2021, 08:50 PM)R3XXY Wrote: I should have been more specific in my intiial post, The gradient itself isn't a problem, it's how smoothly it fades into transparency, I don't want a definite line like in the example above.

It's always better to post a picture with your question, even if it is a bad picture.

Assuming you make a text-gradient layer as described earlier, you could then use the airbrush tool in erase mode to "thin-out" the lighter gradient  end. I'd suggest you use one of the reduced hardness brushes such as the Hardness 050 brush .....and perhaps even consider reducing the opacity of the airbrush tool to get the right effect. Several attempts might be needed as you feel out the tool, determining how much you want to thin. Then, once your have it right, merge down to the main image.

Remember, holding the "shift" and "crtl" keys down together will lock your airbrush tool into a straight line when you make your stroke. Smile

Something else that I just discovered myself, but AFTER getting your black bar with gradient partially done,... you can apply the gradient tool in "erase" mode as well, to thin out the leading edge of the gradient. Again you'd want to use the "FG to Transparent" gradient, but this time plotting your first gradient tab above the light edge of the small layer, and the second tab only part way down. And again, you can fine tune it with the opacity control. Just bear in mind that doing so adjusts the opacity of the erasure....odd concept but once you try it you'll see what I mean.....the "undo" function is your friend.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to make a solid black bar fade out? - by rickk - 07-10-2021, 11:35 PM