Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gimp vs imag-r
(07-23-2021, 07:27 AM)PixLab Wrote: Sorry, I just saw a spam before your post, so I thought it was the day Wink

Again Sorry, and Welcome Big Grin

Not sure about laser engraving, but for the image processing in GIMP, yes it's quite easy
If I understood, you do need a black and white picture?
GIMP can automatically put your picture in grayscale (you can chose this in the preferences), crop/resize and DPI it's all easy access and DPI can be set to your preferred value as default

adjust brightness, contrast, sharpen, etc manually, or hit the auto button.
All those tools are in "Colors" and in "Filters" also GIMP has even multi "AUto" button Wink

ok, so the stretch contrast under the auto button automatically adjusts contrast? Am i understanding you correctly?

i eventually want to learn how to do it manually, but its hard for my eyes to see the difference with greyscale so i cant always produce the best images for laser engraving. 

ill have to try the multi auto button and see how that does haha. 

There is a plugin for gimp for laser engraving, but it costs money and has had some issue with it so im trying to accomplish same thing but actually learning how to do it haha

(07-23-2021, 07:35 AM)rich2005 Wrote: No need to get heated. A post like this can look a bit spammy Wink  Trying to get an example image, that the software produces. They have a strange sense of 'free' pay-what-you-want $5 -$10...for their free bundles.

Skimming through what must be an over long tedious video, I got these examples: https://imgur.com/XW95pDa.jpg Gimp can certainly do that. As well as changing the mode to greyscale, desaturating a colour image gives some variation. The program options seem to be limited to scaling, contrast and brightness, sharpen, some effects, which I did not see, inverting the image.  In Gimp something like this: https://i.imgur.com/gTHg0cs.jpg There are third-party plugins that might be useful for extra effects.

Image format: bmp / png / jpg - no problem for Gimp exporting those. SVG will be a problem. Gimp is a raster editor, for svg  Inkscape is the application to use.

i agreee, their free pay what you want bundles are ish. FOr right now, the free stuff does a decent job. upload, crop, resize, auto adjust, select material, and download. 

my goal is to produce the same or better images with in gimp and just as fast. I just do not know if images for laser need to be more greys than whites and blacks. 

and like i mentioned above to the other poster, me eyes have a harder time with greyscale to differentiate between greys etc.

right now its looking for a good auto adjust setup where i open the image, set the size, dpi, then hit auto adjust and get a really good result.

thanks

Messages In This Thread
gimp vs imag-r - by lt72884 - 07-22-2021, 11:07 PM
RE: gimp vs imag-r - by PixLab - 07-23-2021, 04:09 AM
RE: gimp vs imag-r - by lt72884 - 07-23-2021, 06:37 AM
RE: gimp vs imag-r - by PixLab - 07-23-2021, 07:27 AM
RE: gimp vs imag-r - by lt72884 - 07-23-2021, 04:32 PM
RE: gimp vs imag-r - by rich2005 - 07-23-2021, 07:35 AM
RE: gimp vs imag-r - by PixLab - 07-24-2021, 03:14 AM
RE: gimp vs imag-r - by lt72884 - 07-24-2021, 04:46 AM
RE: gimp vs imag-r - by PixLab - 07-24-2021, 07:59 AM
RE: gimp vs imag-r - by lt72884 - 07-25-2021, 05:19 PM