Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ofn-manual-stipple
(12-23-2022, 08:56 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
  • Instead of having a script parameter, maybe the script could be sensitive to the brush spacing (as it is to the brush size, etc...) using pdb.gimp_context_get_brush_spacing()?
  • Of course I'm interested

That was a great suggestion but it does pose a bit of a pickle...

If I just use:
Code:
self.brushSpacing=float(pdb.gimp_context_get_brush_spacing())

and it works the way I like (i.e. the stipple pattern will be at the spacing you get if you draw with the paintbrush so you can actual test the stipple spacing by just stroking a straight line) but this is counter-intutive to the current operation as the plugin spaces based on the brush size (i.e. 100% spacing).  The issue is that brushes that aren't  intended to be "stamps" will have a fractional spacing by default so they stoke smoothly.  So this would require users to manually change the spacing of the brush before running the plugin.

Alternately, I can use this:
Code:
self.brushSpacing=float(pdb.gimp_context_get_brush_spacing()/pdb.gimp_brush_get_spacing(pdb.gimp_context_get_brush())*100.)

to still allow the user to change the spacing of the stipple by using the ratio of the currently set spacing over the brush's default spacing.  So selecting a brush and using the default spacing will place the stipples with a spacing equal to the brush size.  To space the stipples closer or further together the user will have to select a spacing smaller or larger than the default spacing for the brush, and knowing what that will result in is somewhat counter-intuitive...

Any thoughts on the preferred option?

-RobA>

Messages In This Thread
ofn-manual-stipple - by Ofnuts - 09-02-2021, 08:00 PM
RE: ofn-manual-stipple - by denzjos - 09-06-2021, 08:33 AM
RE: ofn-manual-stipple - by RobA - 12-23-2022, 03:13 AM
RE: ofn-manual-stipple - by Ofnuts - 12-23-2022, 08:56 PM
RE: ofn-manual-stipple - by RobA - 12-24-2022, 07:35 PM
RE: ofn-manual-stipple - by Ofnuts - 12-25-2022, 05:58 PM