Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portable - correct way to create folders?
I do not know. Always difficult for me since using old Windows virtual machines + USB is very slow. I only keep them for demo purposes.

When I got that weird effect, I think I just reverted back to a basic samj portable gimp, the same as you get with a first-time run.
The problem will be a setting in the gimp user profile, the 'Preferences' folder.
First thing I would try is rename that modified gimprc to a backup and run gimp to create a new default.  This is the old versus the new. As you see it is very basic. It does mean having to set up your bespoke paths again.  It could also be the pluginrc file or the sessionrc file. Rename those in similar fashion.

Looks like that method is a bit dangerous for you.  Apart from main computer and laptop, how many other computers/ drive letters might be used ? Other ways that might be possible without too much danger.  

1) Have multiple gimprc files one for each 'extra' Drive letter gimprc-G gimprc-H ...  There is a gimp switch 

--gimprc=filename 
Use an alternative gimprc instead of the default one. The gimprc file contains a record of your preferences. Useful in cases where plugins paths or machine specs may be different.

How you would use this with the samj gimp launcher is the problem. AFAIK the launcher.exe  does not accept switches. It might be possible to set up a Windows batch file for this - (I don't know)

2) Large capacity USB drives are cheap these days, Have a duplicated separate samj gimp portable for each 'extra' drive letter. If you do not use 32 bit plugins then I think you can 'lose' the 32 bit section and save some space.

3) Back to the basics, no 'extra' scripts / plugins / ... folders. Put everything in the Preferences folders.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Portable - correct way to create folders? - by rich2005 - 09-14-2021, 09:10 AM