Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucket fill with a Pattern
(10-09-2021, 06:37 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Really you answered the question yourself at the beginning. The origin of the pattern fill is zero, zero - ie. top left corner.  That applies to layers as well as the canvas.  If you can make your area a selected layer, even as a temporary layer it will fill from top left corner.

For that rectangle, a fuzzy select inside (with threshold up a bit to avoid anti-aliased pixels) and then a paste gives a floating selection layer. That still obeys the rules and fills. Then it is anchored to fill the rectangle.

Yeah, but I'm notorious for putting myself through convoluted, multi-step processes, only to have someone come along and say "why are you beating yourself up like that? There is an easier way"

So, I just was curious if there was a toggle  control somewhere that I had failed to notice.  Somehow for me,  now knowing that the shorter route doesn't exist, will make going the longer route less stressful....not having to wonder what I've missed.

Strangely enough when going through this procedure originally, I was having problems with the filled pattern originating at 0,0  even in the lifted layers made with the select tool, which is why my original post mentions pasting the selection as a new image. Doing that way was the only way I could get away from the original indexing.   I'm not sure why that was, but since trying today after reading Pixlab's submission...it seems to be working just within the confines of the lifted layer, so "all is well"

Thanks!!   Smile

I'm in good shape now. And wiser for the experience.

[Image: hDvltJa.png]

I always suspected that patterns began  from a non-obvious point of origin, due to the way they painted in the select area. I just wasn't sure where.  Coming from an IBM OS/2 background, their architecture uses the Cartesian coordinate system, which "paints" from lower left corner.

Messages In This Thread
Bucket fill with a Pattern - by rickk - 10-08-2021, 07:12 PM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by PixLab - 10-09-2021, 06:30 AM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by PixLab - 10-09-2021, 09:54 AM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by rickk - 10-09-2021, 02:49 PM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by rickk - 10-09-2021, 05:52 PM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by rich2005 - 10-09-2021, 06:37 PM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by rickk - 10-09-2021, 08:12 PM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by rickk - 10-10-2021, 05:37 PM