Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Keep Resolution....
(09-10-2017, 10:09 AM)sallyanne Wrote: After editing an image how do I keep it at the same resolution that it was at previously?

I noticed in the small box that pops up when you 'export' that there was/is an advanced option. I clicked on it and it gave me an option to
'Use quality settings from original image' (Now that I have clicked the advanced + I don't get the advanced option any more - maybe it doesn't for an image previously exported with this setting.) It does however give 'load default and save default'

My question also would be do I need to put in a number for quality at the top - like when compressing?

Think I have worked it out. Can you please confirm.

Is this the quality setting when you export a jpeg.

Two situations

If the original image is a jpeg, the slider at the top should be the existing quality setting, same as original.

If the original image is not a jpeg, say a png, and you export as a jpeg, then Gimp will use the default quality setting 90

You can change that slider to anything you want.

A note about jpeg quality settings, it is not a percentage, it is not linear. A 100 setting is still lossy compressed a little. File size drops quickly for a values 80 - 100 and quality remains ok-ish. Drop the quality a lot and not much saving in file size but quality drops off sharply.

Messages In This Thread
How to Keep Resolution.... - by sallyanne - 09-10-2017, 10:09 AM
RE: How to Keep Resolution.... - by rich2005 - 09-10-2017, 10:50 AM
RE: How to Keep Resolution.... - by sallyanne - 09-10-2017, 11:21 AM