Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G'mic problems?
(12-04-2021, 11:09 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Which linux is it this time. (I looked at a 'live' knoppiux usb and not a lot of joy with either gimp_gmic_qt or krita)

As always, ,,your efforts and feedback are sincerely appreciated. 

knoppix 9.1  with Gimp 2.10.22  with Gmic 2.9.4  That particular gimp version is included in the knoppix 9.1 distro....and the gmic version was just obtained as the default offering from the bundled Synaptic package manager

Likewise knoppix 9.1 with Krita 4.4.8  also with Gmic 2.9.4

And then, just to make things interesting, I fired up my old Windows 7 machine last night, running gimp 2.10.18 and a version of gmic that is at least 2 years old (didn't think to write down the version)...just trying to duplicate the failure, and couldn't do it.  gmic performed flawlessly...every time out of about a dozen tests.

So, the "problem" appears to be confined to the gmic/gimp combination that I am running'

I suppose I could try updating my gimp version, but "everything else" seems to be working fine, so I have some apprehension jumping into a gimp update not knowing what unintended consequences might accompany sich a move.

At this point, it's a curiosity .....one that grew as I was reading other threads here and noticed various members discussing their own problems with gmic, and immediate feedback from other members acknowledging that problems are "known"

So, this thread was intended  mostly to ferret-out what known malfunctions are in the knowledge base.

Once I encounter a problem such as this, I usually try to chart out a list of conditions that provoke the failure, vs not...and I've noticed that while using gmic 2.9.4, under gimp, under knoppix 9.1:

1). The problem never happens when using Krita as the host application, just when using Gimp as the host

2).Some of the time under  Gimp, the problem does not happen at all.  But when it does happen, it's only if Gmic is closed while Gimp remains open. When I elect to use the "apply" button in Gmic without hitting the "ok" button.....essentially sending the Gmic output to Gimp while sending Gmic to the background...the problem has not ever happened.

Which is great, the obvious solution is to say  "fine, don't close Gmic until you have finished your Gimp session, and let them both close together when you eventually close gimp,... except

3). Some functions of Gmic  auto terminate, sending the satisfactory  output to the Gimp canvas, but locking the Gimp up tight as a drum in the process.

4). I've noticed that even  when this problem happens, "last state" is preserved for Gmic  for that specific session (such as making the institutional logos appear or disappear, or ticking/unticking the internet check box)
However, "last state"  selections in Gimp for that session (tool in use, pattern in use, color in use) are NOT preserved, and will resort back to whatever was in use the previous time Gimp closed normally.

5). The problem can be reproduced on a machine  having no other additions to Gimp other than Gmic, as well as it can on a Gimp installation laden with GAP, FX Foundry,  Liquid Rescale,  and the retro "Python for Gimp" packages.....so it's doubful that the problem is a reaction to Gimp add ons not playing well together

I'm a bit surprised that no one has jumped in saying they are familiar with the problem, considering exchanges by others I've read  here explaining their own experiences. with other issues.

But, I guess I should feel fortunate that I'm not at the end of my rope, since Gmic under Windows, and Gmic under Krita appear to be bullet proof, And 90% of the time I can avoid the problem under Gimp with a little operational discipline.

That other 10% though, remains a curiosity

Strictly as an aside, but I've really been enjoying the "gradient from line" function, which you recomended  in another thread. Being able to lift the profile of a structural I-beam from a picture, and then utilizing the gradient function to "draw" an I-beam...is fantastic!!

Messages In This Thread
G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-03-2021, 05:54 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by PixLab - 12-04-2021, 01:33 AM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-04-2021, 08:34 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rich2005 - 12-04-2021, 11:09 AM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-04-2021, 04:22 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-04-2021, 10:33 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rich2005 - 12-05-2021, 12:15 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 04-05-2022, 12:42 AM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-05-2021, 07:18 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-12-2021, 04:24 PM