Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G'mic problems?
Admittedly I'm just speculating, but it appears to me that G'mic is actually a "stand-alone" application, and the plug-in aspect is just a tie-in between G'mic and it's host applications? It looks to me to be that way, because changes made to the settings in G'mic under Gimp, persist into the next session of Krita, if I use both applications in the same computer session. Further reinforced by my recent experiences upgrading Gimp to version 2.10.28

I decided to do a completely fresh reinstall of my entire system, housekeeping that I'd just planned, yet had been putting off. And in the process managed to screw up G'mic pretty bad. in fact when under the newly installed version of Gimp, the newly installed G'mic would not even load...gimp giving me an error message each time I tried to use G'mic

What surprised me is that upon installing fresh the newly released update of Krita, complete with what Krita settings guide describes as "G'mic special version for Krita".... yet the G'mic would never load inside Krita. You could try to open it, and wait all day, it would never open....So, clearly whatever I did to hose G'mic during the Gimp install, managed to "pre-corrupt" the Krita install of it's access to G'mic. Couple that with the insistence of Gmic that it save gradients to a Gimp directory, even when operating from Krita, and the G'mic does appear to be a common beast of burden between both applications.

All better now, as I figured out what I was doing wrong, and re did it. But I did find it noteworthy that in the Krita settings guide it makes specific mention of potential incompatibilities of various file versions between Krita and Gimp.

Kudos as well to the Gimp team, for at least making their splash screen user configurable. I'm loathing being tied into the christmas tree themed splash the latest release of Krita features. And shocked that the lead developer is actually proud that their splash screen is hard-baked into the binary. Not that I am anti-holiday, I'm just thinking ahead to how long I'll be cozy with such a narrow focused splash screen?

Messages In This Thread
G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-03-2021, 05:54 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by PixLab - 12-04-2021, 01:33 AM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-04-2021, 08:34 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rich2005 - 12-04-2021, 11:09 AM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-04-2021, 04:22 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-04-2021, 10:33 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rich2005 - 12-05-2021, 12:15 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 04-05-2022, 12:42 AM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-05-2021, 07:18 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-12-2021, 04:24 PM