Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System cache filling up with Gimp AppImage
I'm using the latest Gimp AppImage available, 2.10.25, on Linux Mint. I have lately starting working with some very large files and will have 7 or 8 of them open sometimes in Gimp.  After a while, my cache will max out and start swapping to the SSD.  There is 16GB of RAM in the system and I have swappiness set to 20, but have tried setting it to 10 also and there doesn't seem to be that much difference as the same thing happens after a while. Most of the time it happens after multiple usages of Gimp; it just seems to build up after awhile.

The cache never seems to be reclaimed, except with a restart of the computer. Closing Gimp has no effect.

I had the VFS Cache set to 50, then tried 60, then 75 and finally just deleted the line in etc/sysctl.conf altogether and let it go back to its default pressure of 100, as no setting really seemed to be better than any other one as far as releasing cache back into usage.

No Gimp preferences that might seemingly affect this have been changed and are all standard.

[Image: zZnVuyU.png] 

With the AppImage, is there a folder where I can manually clean the cache out after finishing with Gimp? I realize that there probably isn't, as I'm talking about RAM, but maybe someone has some sort of suggestion or thought about what may be happening or what I could do different.

Messages In This Thread
System cache filling up with Gimp AppImage - by CtrlAltDel - 12-13-2021, 09:49 AM