Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export to .ico not working correctly
(03-28-2022, 02:51 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:..I guess I'm not sure about that 3rd step - i.e., what you mean by "... into the toolbox to open as...".  It sounds to me like we may still be creating a separate file in order to accomplish the export to an .ico file.

Correct. When there is a problem with your workflow, revert to the simplest possible solution until it is sorted.

Quote:It would be so straightforward to just have an "Include" checkbox on each layer *within* the export options window - defaulted to True for what is visible.  Then I can have one Gimp project file, and from that project, I can directly generate an .ico file with whatever layers I so choose - during export -without creating additional files that I then have to save/manage.

Well, it is generally, what you describe is a Gimp template, but since we do not know the constituents of your icon file. Very probably a layer mode is screwing things up, so you get a "deal-with-unknowns" type answer.

The drag into tool box for a new image, is just that. Gimp is good at click-drag-drop for many functions. Make a new temporary image, export it, delete it.
This example, using a script from here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Iconif...5#pid26485  256x256 canvas to make a multilayer icon. Then a check in an image viewer.

1 minute animation demo: https://i.imgur.com/7MuKfAZ.mp4

Cool - I took a peek - and the iconify looks handy. It does have me thinking that I should probably make .ico files with multiple sizes in them. I also heard that Windows can now auto-size them and I could simply build the 256x256 and let Windows handle the shrinking. May experiment with that.

From that animation - I NOW see what you meant by 'drag to the toolbox'. I absolutely NEVER would have EVER thought to do that. Not in a million years. To me - tools go in toolboxes - only. The idea of dragging an image in a layer - to the toolbox is just 'out there'. Ha...

I guess the bottom line though - as far as making .ico files - is that one MUST create a separate file that contains ONLY the layers to be included. For some reason - no one seems interested in making this easy directly from the Gimp project file. Again- not a biggie - but it seems other file types allow only the visible layers to be exported directly - but not .ico. I still don't understand why it is singled out to disallow that. But I appreciate everyone's time - I think I'm now understanding how to do this with Gimp.

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Export to .ico not working correctly - by PapaBear1 - 03-28-2022, 04:30 PM