Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Export to .ico not working correctly
I think I can reproduce such an issue that strangely seems to have to do something with the ICO format only.

Here are the simple steps to reproduce it:
  1. Open the To_Do.svg image attached in GIMP (I got version 2.10.34).
  2. When asked for the size of the SVG enter 128 width, height automatically changes to 104.
  3. Click OK.
  4. Now Select Image => Canvas Size´.
  5. Enter a new height of 128 px
  6. Click Centre (you may have to click it twice since the size changes not before the width input field has lost focus).
  7. Ensure that the Resize Layers dropdown shows None.
  8. Click Resize.
  9. As a result you will see the layer as shown here:

Note that the image layer is a little smaller than the canvas.
  10. Now export it to, say, PNG => the resulting png has a correct size of 128x128 px
  11. Now export it to ICO => the resulting png has an (imo) incorrect size of 128x104 px as has the only layer in our image.
  12. You can get a correct result if you resize the layer to the canvas size using Layer => Layer Boundary Size.
  13. Now the ICO export also has a size of 128x128 px.
  14. You could have achieved a correct result from the outset if you would have chosen Resize Layers => All Layers in the Set Image Canvas Size dialog.
Nevertheless since that behaviour only occurs in ICO export it seems to be a bug to me.

Oh, and I nearly forgot: Don't get confused with the icon cache when using Windows. Win heavily caches icons so that you never know what the icon really looks like just relying on the icon shown in Explorer. You will see the real content when opening the icon in GIMP or when you rename the icon to a name that did'nt exist before. Alternatively you can clear the icon cache using a batch file with this content:

Code:
@echo off
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows
del /f /s /q Explorer\iconcache*.*
Start explorer.exe

Hope some of you might find all that useful in that a bit of a special use case here (that's why I don't dare to hop this is getting fixed soon...).

Attached Files
.svg   To_Do.svg (Size: 2.98 KB / Downloads: 45)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Export to .ico not working correctly - by poheyi01 - 03-24-2023, 02:10 PM