Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't grasp relationship between image resolution and printer DPI
Gimp images are width x height in pixels and to convert, it is units (in your case inches) x pixels-per-inch (inch=unit) usually abbreviated to [b]ppi[/i]

For quality, the rule of thumb for photo quality is 300 ppi Unless it is a scan of say a postage stamp, 600 ppi is a bit over the top. It is for the user to decide.

There is a standard 300 ppi US letter (8.5" x 11") in File > New in the dropdown Template menu.

Make with a smaller ppi image for printing ? It all depends on the image. The printer software will do the scaling but depending on the degree of scaling the degradation can be noticeable, scaling up generally leads to loss of sharpness as pixels are interpolated. You can do the scaling yourself, Image > Scale Image , use the best interpolation, 'NoHalo' and see if the result is acceptable. Print off sample pages at different resolutions, small text is a good marker.

There is a discourse about resolutions here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Image-size-in-Gimp

Edit: As usual, I do not think I am answering the question Wink

The printer dot-per-inch (dpi) is the amount the printer spits out toner (or ink) onto the paper.

If your image consists of a 1" x 1" square, then the printer (depends of printer quality settings) fills that with 600 x 600 = 360000 spots of toner.

Your image on the other hand is made of pixels and depending on pixels-per-inch (ppi) that number can vary 50 ppi 1" x 1" = 2500 pixels or 200 ppi = 40000 pixels . The printer still considers that 1" x 1" and will fill those pixels with 600 x 600 spots of toner (600 dpi)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can't grasp relationship between image resolution and printer DPI - by rich2005 - 04-02-2022, 07:22 AM