Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug with low opacity layer on transparent background?
One thing I have learned over the years is to not trust my eyes. A white layer at 10% opacity is hardly visible on anything but a dark  background.

In the images below:
  • The image on the left is your XCF, just cropped a bit, with the dark background lade invisible. It was exported to PNG that way.
  • The image on the right is the PNG, loaded back in Gimp.
  • In both images I have set "Sample points". The first three are on the same pixel in both images. #4 is in a different location in each image so that we can make sure which image the dialog applies to. 
  •  The dialog in the middle is the "Sample points" dialog. It shows pixels values at the sample point in the current image (which is the one with the dark title bar).
In this image, the XCF is the active image

In this image, the PNG is the active image

You can check that the alpha value is the same in both images for the first three sample points (and tht the 4th point is at a different location, so you are not lookin,g tha the pointer dialog for the same image). So, as far as I can tell, the alpha is exported OK. In fact to be truly honest, I didn't crop you image with the Crop tool. I used Image ➤ Crop to content, knowing it would keep any non-fully transparent pixel in the calque layer, which it did since the first sample point has an opacity of 1 (the lowest it can get before being fully transparent).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bug with low opacity layer on transparent background? - by Ofnuts - 04-15-2022, 08:14 PM