Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoothing a path: a better algorithm
Quote:But am I right when I guess that in Gimp3 this trick of Ofnuts will not be needed but everything will be automatically right and only an import clause is needed? (In Gimp2 the trick seems necessary.)

Indeed, in Gimp 2.99, the Ofnuts' trick is not longer needed : when running a plug-in, the python interpreter embedded inside gimp automatically add the plug-in directory  into its modules search path.

Quote:But what about maintaining? I have liked to have everything in my own hands, so that whenever I have wanted to make changes in some plugin, I have just made a new version and published it. If now you make it a core gimp plug-in, then how is maintaining done? It is out of my hands? If there is a need for changes, who will do them? And if I want to make changes what is the process?

You could become a gimp contributor and have the responsibility of maintaining this plug-in. But note that core plug-ins do not change often : unless to fix bug or improve time processing, once available into gimp, the plug-in must keep it's arguments and behavior (to not break scripts using it of potential billion users around the world).

So It's up to you. If you're not interested and want to keep the liberty to modify and release at your rhythm, I understand.
I propose this because this plug-in is really useful (particularly to make quick cut out of curvy elements in a photo) and could profit to the whole users community.

Anyway, here is modified version to run with Gimp 2.99. 
.zip   g2continuity-gimp2.99.zip (Size: 9.79 KB / Downloads: 87)

with a big refactoring:
  • classes/methods/functions don't use "gimp" or "Gimp" as a prefix (to avoid confusion with gimp API)
  • classes/methods/functions documentation is put just after their definition
  • more "object oriented" implementation (some functions become methods)
  • some variables names renamed to something more meaningful
  • when possible, lists copies are avoided to work in place (instead of using copy and deepcopy)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Smoothing a path: a better algorithm - by tmanni - 04-29-2022, 06:51 AM