Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to open reinstalled GIMP, without success
Quote:...Sooo, what should I do to make GIMP 2.8 open & run successfully on my computer, like it did on the last hard drive?...

Sooo, answering that question

Both Gimp 2.10 and Gimp 2.8 by default install to the same location "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\"

The Gimp installer (2.10 or 2.8) will first try to uninstall an existing Gimp before continuing with the installation.

If you have installed any 'extras' to that location or Gimp 2.8 overwriting 2.10 there is a good chance of files remaining.

For a clean installation of Gimp 2.8

1. Go into Windows 10 uninstaller (called Apps&Features now ?) and uninstall any Gimp reference.
2. That often leaves traces of sub-folders in "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\" so go and delete the Gimp 2 folder. (might need a Windows restart to do that)
3. Get the last version of Gimp 2.8 https://download.gimp.org/gimp/v2.8/wind...-setup.exe
4. Run it to install Gimp 2.8.22

You might have an existing Gimp 2.8 User profile. C:\Users\"yourname"\.gimp-2.8 Unless you have anything special in there, a good idea to delete it. Gimp will create a new default when run.

My 2 Euros worth, unless needed for some old script/plugin best forget Gimp 2.8 and use Gimp 2.10

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trying to open reinstalled GIMP, without success - by rich2005 - 12-23-2022, 10:39 AM