Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Displaying Layer Border for a Floating Selection
(11-09-2017, 06:58 PM)Blighty Wrote: A thought:
A selection will shrink to the layer size.

Is the black square on a small layer? Is this the active layer?

If so, do Layer to Image Size or select a different layer.

This is the active layer. I'm simply moving a graphic from one spot on my active layer to another spot.
It's an image and layer that are all one piece. The image and layer are 256 wide by X long (length is unique, width is static). The grid is 32x32. I draw something within a 32x32 grid, then decide I would like to move the drawn graphic to somewhere else on the same active layer. Using the 32x32 grid, I used to simply be able to align the selection tool to the 32x32 grid, copy and paste, and the pasted image retained a 32x32 dimension regardless of the size of the actual copy and pasted image itself. 

Now what happens is the dimension of the pasted graphic is automatically set to ignor transparent background (dead space from the drawn graphic to my selection tool border). This means that I can't ensure that the paste graphic is still aligned to the grid, without using some other method.

Edit: This is something that was clearly changed some time during GIMP updates. It used to work one way, and now works a different way. So I'm wondering if there is someway I can make it work the way it did before.

Edit 2: I could theoretically make the copy and pasted graphic a 32x32 layer, which would allow me to align it easier, but it wouldn't be quicker than simply marking one corner to ensure alignment then removing the mark. I'm concerned with speed, as it's something I do often, moving graphics around my grid, until the entire graphic is complete. The way it worked before was fast, now creating the mark in the corner is about x2 longer a process (since the process is still relatively fast in general, were talking seconds, but they add up). Creating a new layer from the graphic that meets the dimensions of my grid, and then re-merging that layer to my original layer would ultimately be even longer than my current work around. But I appreciate the suggestion non the less Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Disabling 'Shrink Wrapping' for Cut and Paste using Selection Tool - by JayB - 11-09-2017, 07:05 PM