Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Displaying Layer Border for a Floating Selection
(11-09-2017, 07:20 PM)Blighty Wrote: The Move tool doesn't move a drawn graphic, it moves an entire layer.

A layer can be different sizes eg canvas size; 32x32; or the size of the drawn graphic.
Has something like (Layer > Autocrop layer) been used?

Check your layer size (Layer > Boundary Size). The static dotted line will also show layer size.

Correct, it doesn't move the graphic itself. It creates what is referred to as 'Floating Selection (pasted layer #1)'. The 'Floating Selection (pasted layer #1)' used to retain the the dimensions of my rectangle selection box regardless of the transparent background. By left clicking anywhere on the image, it would automatically anchor the image down (which still happens) but it no longer keeps the dimensions of my rectangle selection box.

I'm describing something that was once one way, and is now different. This isn't an issue with my understanding of layers, or bounderaries etc, I've been using gimp for years now. 
I'm using ctrl x and ctrl v to simply grab an image and move it to a new spot using the above explained parameters. I'm looking for a way to make it work the way it did before, rather than a work around or new method. Since nothing really is faster, since speed is my concern, than ctrl x, ctr v, left click, move to new location, left click to merge.

Edit: I just tested it, and making it a new layer does show that it is keeping the dimensions, but they aren't displaying upon pasting. So when I past something it doesn't show the layer boundary with a dotted line, it instead shows a dotted line around the drawn image. So it's not counting transparent background as part of the image.

Edit 2: The quickest fix I can think of would be to at a keybind to 'To New Layer' which I would then use instead of ctr+v, then I would bind something to 'Merge Down' , but that wouldn't really work either, because the new layer always appears at the top, and I at times do have other layers.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Disabling 'Shrink Wrapping' for Cut and Paste using Selection Tool - by JayB - 11-09-2017, 07:35 PM