Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AppImages and Help Files
Hello everyone. I need some assistance with getting the Gimp help file to work properly. I tried doing a search for appimage + help file and appimage + user manual and several other variations of this and didn't get any board hits.

I'm using the Gimp AppImage by TasMania17 here:

gimp2-10-36-python2-mm-ubuntu.AppImage

along with Linux Mint 21.3.

Neither the "use the online version" or "use a locally installed copy" of the help system work properly. I would prefer to utilize the "use a locally installed copy" offline option if possible.  I have a .pdf copy of the help file/user manual, which is okay, but it's not integrated into Gimp and is a hassle to pull up each time I need it.

Trying on my own to get things working properly, I installed gimp-help-en 2.10.0-1 from Linux Mint's Software Manager.  I knew it likely would not work, but did manage to get the 57.3 mb  folder of .html files that was installed and saved it in case I could use that in some way.

I also downloaded the gimp-help-2.10.34 .tar file from docs.gimp.org, but really don't know what to do with it.  I've never been too adept with tarball archive files.  Sad

Is it possible to get the integrated help file system to work properly with an appimage?
(04-26-2024, 05:07 AM)CtrlAltDel Wrote: Hello everyone. I need some assistance with getting the Gimp help file to work properly. I tried doing a search for appimage + help file and appimage + user manual and several other variations of this and didn't get any board hits.

I'm using the Gimp AppImage by TasMania17 here:

gimp2-10-36-python2-mm-ubuntu.AppImage

along with Linux Mint 21.3.
....snip....
Trying on my own to get things working properly, I installed gimp-help-en 2.10.0-1 from Linux Mint's Software Manager.  I knew it likely would not work, but did manage to get the 57.3 mb  folder of .html files that was installed and saved it in case I could use that in some way.
...snip...
Is it possible to get the integrated help file system to work properly with an appimage?

It is possible but you will have to unpack the appimage  
Code:
~./gimp2-10-36-python2-mm-ubuntu.AppImage --appimage-extract
Which gives a folder squashfs-root Inside that folder the path to the Gimp share folder is sqashfs-root/root/usr/share/gimp/2.0

Put your saved help folder there. If you dumped those files these the ones I used in this example http://u.pc.cd/OucitalK  zipped 48 MB

You need to start Gimp using the file Apprun  as https://i.imgur.com/FK0Sp9V.mp4 edit: I forgot to delete the help folder in squash-fs when I copied into the share folder, it should not be there.
If you go this route, you can make a desktop file to start Apprun.

You can remove the original appimage file to somewhere safe as a backup. I would love to be able to say I can re-pack to a new appimage, alas my AppimageAssistant failed on this one.
Great information and illustrative depictions, Rich.  I probably could have figured that out by myself in about a thousand years.

Thanks.  Smile