Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paths Tool not working
Hi All,
I have watched the video on tracing I click on the paths button, I start my outline however nothing happens. I don't see any dots?  Am I missing something?  I am a newbie have have not used gimp that much,  I am sorry to be such a dummy but this is all new to me???  Can someone explain what I am doing wrong or give me a link to a tutorial that shows you step by step?  I only learn by doing so any explanation or video will help.  I greatly appreciate any help in this matter, ps I have gimp 2.10.8.

Thank you
[Image: huh.png]

Attached Files Image(s)

Try this one: https://youtu.be/cB7YVsYQ51M 5 minutes

come back with questions
(12-17-2018, 10:44 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Try this one: https://youtu.be/cB7YVsYQ51M 5 minutes

come back with questions

Hi Rich,

I have traced items before, but now when I click on the paths tool, nothing happens I never get any points showing? I watched you video and followed what you did, but nothing happen?  Please advise, do I need to uninstall and re-install? 

Thank you
Lori Huh Huh Huh
I see from an earlier post Windows 10 / Gimp 2.10

Have you checked the 'mode' do you get anything like this, where it is disabled?

Very rarely does reinstalling Gimp make any difference, all the settings are held in the Gimp profile.

C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\  Rename that to disable it and start Gimp up to make a new default profile.

See if the path tool works with a 'blank' canvas. If it does work, start (slowly) moving resources, brushes plugins scripts, over from the old profile checking that all is working as you go.
Hi Rich,
I figured it out, when I clicked on my paths tool it was checked for edit, I need the design. thank you

Lori
Hi Rich, now that I figured out that I didn't have the right thing checked under paths tool.  I loved the video you did for me. I do have a question about doing the rest of the picture? Will I need to do each piece? Is there anyway you could do a video showing me what needs to be done and how?  Like I said I learn by doing so if someone could show me the steps, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you so much for being patient with me.  I am trying, but like I said I am a complete dummy.  Hope you have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Thank you
Lori Wellington
Hi Rich,
It will just be the same thing repeated in different areas, but more important is the objective of all the tracing.

What will be the end result? Could be from removing the background up to a complete recreation.

For a complete recreation Gimp might not be the best tool.

If you give more details, then maybe a better answer developed.
(12-18-2018, 04:23 PM)rich2005 Wrote: It will just be the same thing repeated in different areas, but more important is the objective of all the tracing.

What will be the end result? Could be from removing the background up to a complete recreation.

For a complete recreation Gimp might not be the best tool.

If you give more details, then maybe a better answer developed.

Hi Rich,
I do want the background removed, all I want is the eagle with the ribbon & Flag, so I can than enter it into my carvewright, carving machine?  I need to know for each item I trace does that go on a new layer? then when I am all done do I merge?  I am not sure what other details you need?  

Thank you,

Lori Wellington Huh Huh
Quote:I do want the background removed, all I want is the eagle with the ribbon & Flag, so I can than enter it into my carvewright, carving machine?

I never keep anything (other than my own projects) so another partial video, not doing the whole thing, this showing the scroll, and flag in separate paths.

Quote:I need to know for each item I trace does that go on a new layer? then when I am all done do I merge?

The paths are not layers as such. Paths are independent of layers, even the canvas. It is easier to merge paths than to separate them although Ofnuts path tools plugin can do this. 

However to start a new section of path keep an eye on the path tool cursor.
For example: You can make a closed path and start a new separate path easily. 

If the path is not closed, then to start a new section hold the shift key down. see how the cursor has changed.

Once the new node is in, then continue.

---------

Did not do that in this video https://youtu.be/BmY4CXIGcRI 3 minutes 

I put each section as a new path. It might/might-not fit in with what you want.

For a CNC machine or similar I guess you will need a single SVG so merging everything is the only option. Gimp will only export a single path as an SVG at a time. That is right click in Paths dialogue Export As

More usual to do this sort of work in a vector application such as Inkscape.

edit: Just another quick look at the image.
The eagle has part of the wing missing, you can make a path that goes off the edge of the canvas.
Eagle + scroll + flag is really just a single outline with a couple of holes inside. It is going to depend on how the machine handles these. It might be direction of path, so make the main trace clock-wise and the cut-outs anti-clockwise. Real advice, ask someone who uses the same machine.