Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.10 missing Felimage
Question 
Hello, I need some help with finding a plugin/extension for 2.10.
I working through a mapping tutorial, and one of the steps calls for using the Felimage plugin. The tutorial was made for gimp 2.6, but so far I have been able to find everything else except this Felimage.

This is the part of the tutorial I am stuck on:

Quote:33. Select the LandColor layer, create new layer (Layer Fill Type: Transparency), named Adjust1. With Adjust1:
a. Set the Foreground color to your dark green (405018), background color to papyrus (f0e6be)
b. Filters -> Render ->Felimage -> Noise (size 50/50)
c. Layer mode to Hue
d. Opacity to 25%
e. Add layer mask (Channel: Coastline)

Is there an option that replaced the FelImage? And on that note, how do I fill a layer with 50% Grey? I have been doing a work-around of filling a transparent layer with grey, and then putting the opacity to 50%.

Thank you for any help.
Felimage is here but seems to be mostly abandoned. It was written for Gimp 2.2 and  Gimp may have got some noise generators in more recent versions.

50% Gray is RGB(127,127,127) (fully opaque). It's the "neutral" color for many things (bump-mapping, Grain extract/Grain merge modes, etc...).
Oh, thank you for the reply!
I didn't know how to do the 50% grey, but now I know.

I will try the download you linked, and will hope it works. Otherwise I do not know how to get a work-around for my tutorial I am following.
URL to tutorial?
(02-14-2019, 12:12 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: URL to tutorial?

I have the felimage plugin in my linux Gimp 2.9.9 (appimage), so I know it works, and a quick check with the Windows version references by Ofnuts.

I sort of recognised the reference as the type of tutorial from cartographersguild.com and if anyone interested, the page to look at is: https://www.cartographersguild.com/showt...php?t=4987  and Ascension's Atlas Tutorial in GIMP (Gidde)

The 50/50 reference is the width/height size. The image used is quite large 2000x2000 px so adjust to suit your image.
(earlier stage 30 - fill feathered selection 50% grey - see Ofnuts post.)

The menu entry is Filters -> Render -> Felimage -> Noise

[Image: i6ndUGj.jpg]

I can not think of an alternative that renders FG/BG colours directly. It must be possible using clouds or similar and colouring/blurring, if for any reason felimage if it stops working.

Edit: Careful with those layer modes, that old tutorial is using what are now legacy modes which you need to set yourself.
(02-14-2019, 12:12 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: URL to tutorial?

I have it in my google drive:
https://dochub.com/xeyladeath/2vYK9K/asc...Xf9Qoz2k4u

@[b]rich2005[/b]
Where do I install the Felimage? It seems to be a .exe file, and I do not know where to put it.
(02-15-2019, 05:04 AM)Xeyla Wrote: Where do I install the Felimage? It seems to be a .exe file, and I do not know where to put it.

It is a compiled plugin, an .exe file, and (for a standard installation) goes in your Gimp user profile plug-ins folder

C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

AppData is a hidden folder in Win7/Win10 If you need to 'un-hide' it see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...windows-10
Oh, it works!!
Thank you rich2005 for telling me where to install it!