Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Layer Question
Hi All,

For some reason I don't see a New Thread button on the Gimp 2.10 forum, so I'll post in the General Questions....

A Gimp newbie here & I've been reading through various tutorials to try to get familiar with some of the terminology....

When I open an image in 2.10.6, the layer palette opens as "file name.jpg" rather than Background...

Some tuts then say to promote the layer...when I right click on the .jpg layer I don't see any promote option so obviously the wording has been changed, so, how do I promote a layer in 2.10.6?

Many Thanks,
FlutteringBy
(11-27-2018, 08:45 PM)FlutteringBy Wrote: For some reason I don't see a New Thread button on the Gimp 2.10 forum, so I'll post in the General Questions....
As the Gimp 2.10 forum header says: "Forum for 2.10 questions. Since 2.10 is now in wide usage, Gimp 2.10 questions should go in the general section. You can no longer ask questions here, but you can still answer existing questions."

(11-27-2018, 08:45 PM)FlutteringBy Wrote: When I open an image in 2.10.6, the layer palette opens as "file name.jpg" rather than Background...
It has always been that way. You get Background as the name of the initial layer when you create an image from scracth.

(11-27-2018, 08:45 PM)FlutteringBy Wrote: Some tuts then say to promote the layer...when I right click on the .jpg layer I don't see any promote option so obviously the wording has been changed, so, how do I promote a layer in 2.10.6?
I don't know what "promote" means either in this context. If you paste something into an image opened in Gimp, the pasted part is a temporary layer called "Floating selection", and "promoting" it could be making that a plain layer (with Layer>To new layer).
Thank you Ofnuts for explaining about .jpg & Background layers....that makes perfect sense... Smile ...

I'm making the switch from PaintShop Pro so it will take a bit to get things sorted out....

I appreciate your help,

FlutteringBy
Also (and this may seem really obvious, but possibly useful if you really are just starting out), you can rename the layers to whatever you want. As one builds up more complex projects with lots of layers I know I prefer more functional/descriptive terms than "file name.jpg".
Yes, Zorba, that's exactly what I've been looking for as I always rename the layers for my current project....

I take it the "rename layer" command is Edit Layer Attributes....

Its not quite a week that I've been using Gimp so LOTS of more reading to do.... Smile ...

Thanks for mentioning the obvious Zorba, its these little things that make life easier... Wink ...

FlutteringBy
(11-28-2018, 09:12 PM)FlutteringBy Wrote: Yes, Zorba, that's exactly what I've been looking for as I always rename the layers for my current project....

I take it the "rename layer" command is Edit Layer Attributes....
You can do it with Edit Layer Attributes, or the quick way is to just double-click on the layer name and it should allow you to edit it.

Good luck and enjoy ...
Wink .... Wink ...