Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Active layer not visible
Hi all, my apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section. 

My issue is that since 2.8, I am getting the error message in the title. I upgraded to 2.10 hoping it would help, but it has not.

What I am trying to do is erase some pixels on an upper layer, dependent on pixels on the bottom layer. In the past, the way I have done this is to hide the upper layer I want to erase pixels on, so that I can use the lower layer as a guide to where to erase. However, it seems that I cannot do this as it won't erase, and I get the message "The active layer is not visible." 

I have read that this was implemented to prevent the accidental editing of hidden layers. I understand this logic. However, I cannot find any information as to whether there is a way to turn off this protection. I use this method quite a lot in the pixel art that I do, and it will be quite frustrating if I cannot do this. 

Also, my apologies if this has been covered before, I tried several searches and could not find anything related.
You can set its transparency to 1%... makes it about invisible but keeps Gimp happy.
Thank you. Not sure why I didn't think of that simple solution. However, it's frustrating to have to resort to that. I do hope in future builds they will make it an option to work on hidden layers, rather than preventing it outright.
Hoping is one thing, but asking is better: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues