Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Android/IOS/Chrome OS ???
My old Windows Vista laptop is showing it's age. Is there a way to use GIMP from an ipad or android or maybe a chromebook ?
If so - what are the downsides ? I'm already used to waiting a long, long time to start up and just about every operation too anyway.
There was a 'Gimp + Inkscape' that ran in android. It was really a virtual linux inside the android OS.

The very best thing I can say about it is, terrible.

I run a Acer c720 chromebook with the chrome OS removed and linux substituted but that depends on the make and CPU. Very modest spec 2 GB RAM, 32 GB SSD and Gimp 2.8.20 flies along.

I do not recommend that route, but I do recommend a new laptop / dump windows / install linux
(03-20-2017, 07:49 PM)rich2005 Wrote: There was a 'Gimp + Inkscape' that ran in android. It was really a virtual linux inside the android OS.

The very best thing I can say about it is, terrible.

I run a Acer c720 chromebook with the chrome OS removed and linux substituted but that depends on the make and CPU. Very modest spec 2 GB RAM, 32 GB SSD and Gimp 2.8.20 flies along.

I do not recommend that route, but I do recommend a new laptop / dump windows / install linux

Thanks rich. When I get something to replace this one I might try that. My only experience so far with linux was not so great. Once I got it in the computer it was using it no longer usable. The learning curve is great and when your computer isn't usable the curve just wasn't worth it. It cost me $$$ to even get it removed. I will try again one day though. Just not when I only have one working computer.
(03-20-2017, 10:05 PM)Theo Kelly Wrote: I will try again one day though. Just not when I only have one working computer.

Well, this is what I say about Windows. Smile