Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anything but .XCF gets "Unknow Filetype" error
Hello,

I have re-installed GIMP 2.10.22 on laptop on which GIMP refuses to open any graphics file type except .XCF since a few days. On my other systems GIMP 2.10.22 is running without problems.

I have not found a soltution, but based on a few threads I have found my path to the Plugin directory is probably the reason.
I found this problem on:
- https://discuss.pixls.us/t/cant-open-files-solved/6339
- https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Anythi...n+filetype
The presented solutions do not work for me.

I have tried both the default and custom 2.10.22 installation in Dutch and in English. I am an experienced Windows users and I use GIMP on Linux as well. I uninstalled GIMP and cleaned my Registry and hidden folders before each clean installation.

My EDIT -> Preferences -> Folders -> Plugins show:
- C:\Users\My_username\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins
- C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins
I did use the "reset to default button" as well.

My Windows folders shows an empty folder at:
C:\Users\My_username\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins
My windows explorer shows the plugins folder at:
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

This folder however does NOT show executables as stated in the above mentioned threads, but it contains sub-folders which do contain each the executable of the file type:
e.g. ..\file-jpeg which contains ..\file-jpeg\file-jpeg.exe

I even tried to add the file-jpeg folder via the dialog to the list of pluging folders, but it does not solve my problem.

Please tell me what to do to restore GIMP on my laptop.
(02-03-2021, 05:00 PM)Lauwerier Wrote: Hello,

I have re-installed GIMP 2.10.22 on laptop on which GIMP refuses to open any graphics file type except .XCF since a few days. On my other systems GIMP 2.10.22 is running without problems.

- -{SNIP} - -

My Windows folders shows an empty folder at:
C:\Users\My_username\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins
My windows explorer shows the plugins folder at:
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

This folder however does NOT show executables as stated in the above mentioned threads, but it contains sub-folders which do contain each the executable 

Just  out of curiosity, how does this compare to your other Windows systems where Gimp is working without problems?

Quote:..This folder however does NOT show executables as stated in the above mentioned threads, but it contains sub-folders which do contain each the executable of the file type: e.g. ..\file-jpeg which contains ..\file-jpeg\file-jpeg.exe
That is correct. Gimp 2.10 recognises a folder with the same name as the plugin executable as the plugin. (there for plugins which might have associated dependencies)

Quote:My Windows folders shows an empty folder at: C:\Users\My_username\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins
You would expect that to be empty for a new installation. That is where you eventually put your user plugins.

Just for extra information: Is the laptop Windows a 32 bit or 64 bit installation ? Did you have an earlier version of Gimp 2.8 or 2.10 installed before this new installation ?

First thing is check that the path to C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins exists in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders then look in the plug-ins section. It should be one of the two entries. If not there you can add it.

If there can you try:
Delete the file C:\Users\My_username\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\pluginrc Restart Gimp and let it rescan the plug-ins.
or if not there
Delete the whole C:\Users\My_username\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ folder Restart Gimp and let it create a new default user profile.