Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto-scaling does not work
when I cut and paste a part of an image from one document to another, it no longer auto scales and is instead much larger than the page itself.
This used to work but for some reason it doesn't any longer. Anyone else have/had this problem?
(03-19-2017, 06:31 PM)syscon Wrote: when I cut and paste a part of an image from one document to another, it no longer auto scales and is instead much larger than the page itself.
This used to work but for some reason it doesn't any longer. Anyone else have/had this problem?

What do you mean by auto scale?

Best guess at problem. Cut from one doc at high pixels-per-inch (ppi) Paste into other document which is low ppi.
(03-19-2017, 08:14 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(03-19-2017, 06:31 PM)syscon Wrote: when I cut and paste a part of an image from one document to another, it no longer auto scales and is instead much larger than the page itself.

What do you mean by auto scale?

Best guess at problem. Cut from one doc at high pixels-per-inch (ppi) Paste into other document which is low ppi.

Example.  I open a PDF page (landscape - format) and next I open a PDF file (portrait - format).  I simply select a section from one document "cut" (CTRL-C) and "paste" (CTRL-V) into the second document I just opened.  The section I just paste it scales outside page boarder.  I just upgraded to: Gimp-2.8.14.

In previous version of Gimp, when I "cut" and "paste" the section always stayed with page boarder.

How to adjust that behaviour?

Thanks, for any input.
There is no autoscale feature when you copy/paste. Your PDF viewer copies pixels in the clipboard and Gimp copies these faithfully to your image. If size matches then you were lucky...
(03-20-2017, 03:12 AM)syscon Wrote: Example.  I open a PDF page (landscape - format) and next I open a PDF file (portrait - format).  I simply select a section from one document "cut" (CTRL-C) and "paste" (CTRL-V) into the second document I just opened.  The section I just paste it scales outside page boarder.  I just upgraded to: Gimp-2.8.14.

In previous version of Gimp, when I "cut" and "paste" the section always stayed with page boarder.

How to adjust that behaviour?

As Ofnuts post there is no autoscaling. Using PDF's there is an added option when opened. Choice of ppi. The Gimp default is always 100 irrespective of the ppi when the PDF was created.  100 ppi might be ok, but probably not.

When copy -> paste from one to the other, the clip is W pixels x H pixels and matches the destination image. So one might look like it is scaled down or the other way looks like it is scaled up. In reality it is just pixels matching pixels.

From 100 ppi to 300 ppi might look like this

From 300 ppi to 100 ppi might look like this where the clip is larger than the image.

Things to note: 
If using the Gimp stock templates US letter, A4 etc these are set at 300 ppi. If creating a new canvas from scratch then the ppi will be 96 unless you set it yourself.
With an open image look in Image -> Image Properties for the resolution value.