Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bastille day
Actually several long duration shots on tripod, loaded together and put in Lighten only mode.

Photo 
Online translators sometimes don't achieve the saccharism of sentences.
I wanted to say in Portuguese: "Um espetáculo de perder a cabeça!"

But I only got translations like "A freak show (in English) or Un spectacle de monstres (in French).

The phrase in Portuguese means a spectacle that catches our attention and makes us forget for a moment about everything else. But it literally means something like "a show to lose your head".

Nice photos! They seem to have been taken under a green screen, just the fireworks and a black background, great for removing the background and composing blends.
"Freak show" is often used in colloquial English, but I wonder where the "spectacle de monstres" comes from. As if The French was obtained by re-translating the English. I assume you meant un "spectacle renversant" (a "show to tip you over").
(07-15-2021, 06:04 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: "Freak show" is often used in colloquial English, but I wonder where the "spectacle de monstres" comes from.  As if The French was obtained by re-translating the English. I assume you meant un "spectacle renversant" (a "show to tip you over").

The translation was obtained directly from Portuguese, since the intention was precisely to translate the colloquial expression that has a different meaning from the literal.
[Image: t6BZBxH.png]
I am not saying you did... I assume Google Translate uses English as a "pivot language" (there is no way they have enough dat between all the language they support, Gaelic to Basque translations must be quite rare...)
(07-15-2021, 08:12 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: I am not saying you did... I assume Google Translate uses English as a "pivot language" (there is no way they have enough dat between all the language they support, Gaelic to Basque translations must be quite rare...)

Oh, I got it.

True, practically everything revolves around the American language as pivot, even the English language! :-) (joke)

There is a language app where English-speaking people learn French. The problem with this app is that there is no understanding between Americans and other English speakers in situations where they have to translate from French to English.

The problem occurs because the app is based on American English and when someone for example translates "Il va au cinèma" as "He's going to the cinema", the app doesn't accept that answer; you must use the term "movie theater".

There are many other examples, but this one was easy to remember.
Krikor,
Try deepL translator:
https://www.deepl.com/translator#pt/en/U...abe%C3%A7a!

Um espetáculo de perder a cabeça! => A mind-blowing show!
(07-16-2021, 07:23 AM)nelo Wrote: Krikor,
Try deepL translator:
https://www.deepl.com/translator#pt/en/U...abe%C3%A7a!

Um espetáculo de perder a cabeça! => A mind-blowing show!

nelo,

In this case, DeepL really gave a more satisfactory return, both in English and in French: https://www.deepl.com/translator#pt/fr/U...20a%20cabe% C3%A7a

It is easy to imagine this phrase having been said after the fall of the Bastille by King Louis XVI. But in this case with a literal sense.

I often switch between Google translate and DeepL Translate.
But often DeepL translate screen irritates with various pop-ups, besides including a line at the end of the text informing that the translation was done through it. Fortunately, just delete this line.

Thx!
(07-16-2021, 02:56 AM)Krikor Wrote: True, practically everything revolves around the American language as pivot, even the English language! :-) (joke)

There is a language app where English-speaking people learn French. The problem with this app is that there is no understanding between Americans and other English speakers in situations where they have to translate from French to English.

The problem occurs because the app is based on American English and when someone for example translates "Il va au cinèma" as "He's going to the cinema", the app doesn't accept that answer; you must use the term "movie theater".

There are many other examples, but this one was easy to remember.

A few more...
[Image: kFcqruC.png]
And we could also discuss variations along French speakers. A French in Brussels, Geneva or Montreal can sometimes be disoriented/disorientated. Sometimes they put subtitles on Quebecois movies shown on French TV Smile