Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batch files
I am seeking a Batch file program for Gimp 2.8.22 and Windows 10,   I have never used one before and will need some instruction.  Searching for one to make it easier while working on fonts for adjusting coloring, using a bevel tool, or maybe embossing.  My search tells me Bimp comes with Gimp but I cannot find it.  Not listed in the Plug in search browser.  Any suggestions as to what to use and where to get it?  Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Bimp does not come with the standard Gimp installation, maybe in one of the Partha builds.

The windows installer is here: https://alessandrofrancesconi.it/projects/bimp/ and when installed appears in the File menu.

The built-in functions are a basic type for applying to lots of images, cropping, adding watermarks, changing image format, for example. Sometimes a 'other Gimp procedure' can be added. 

This example using a png with neutral grey text: colorized and beveled.

99% sure this is not what you want. You will not be working with Gimp text layers.

Maybe one of the clever guys can come up with a bespoke plugin.
Rich, I downloaded Bimp and it works with some scripts. I can't get it to bevel text or selection. What do I do first? Do I need to make a selection? But how would that work as each layer has different text.
(01-24-2018, 10:11 AM)Pat625 Wrote: Rich, I downloaded Bimp and it works with some scripts.  I can't get it to bevel text or selection.  What do I do first?  Do I need to make a selection?...

Remember, BIMP works on saved files, not an open unsaved file. That means procedures you might do in Gimp - like making a selection are not available.

Just for reference and as an example, the bevel filter Filters -> Decor -> Add Bevel

You need to know a value that works for your set of images. Open in Gimp it might look like this.

[Image: XVK6mLw.jpg]

Bimp does not need that image open, just as long as the un-bevelled image is saved. You can use .xcf but probably exporting to png is best.

Then that image and any others are added to BIMP (1) An Other GIMP procedure is added (2) and the required values entered. BIMP can overwrite existing files if required, usually better to choose some other folder (3)

[Image: leKSKzc.jpg]

You can repeat that add action to make a set of functions provided BIMP supports them.

Quote: .. But how would that work as each layer has different text.
Ah.. clarification
As I said earlier, perhaps Batch is not really what you want. What you mean is a script to apply multiple effects to an image with lots of layers.
Thank you very much, Rich. I still would like to learn how to use it properly as it may be helpful fixing an old box of photos. I will follow your instructions exactly and lei you know how I do.
(01-24-2018, 11:02 AM)rich2005 Wrote: What you mean is a script to apply multiple effects to an image with lots of layers.

There have plenty of requests / enquiries about Gimp macros.

Start recording
Apply bevel effect
Apply another effect
Select next layer down
Stop recording

Run macro 26 x

Would be nice to have. But not even in the pipeline.
Thank you Rich, for your further clarifications. The bevel filter was working for me but I did not know it. I had to adjust the thickness level to almost 30 before it could be seen. That seemed high to me but then I have not worked with it enough to know.

Plug-ins: I had forgotten (those senior moments are a bother), that Tin Tran had written a plug-in at Wallace's request for a BRL to all visible layers which works quite nicely. He wrote it in scheme as well as Python due to a scrolling issue on long script dialog boxes.