Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brush Size
I was curious about whats the best size for custom brushes.
Always had the idea in my head that bigger is better, but when looking at my chart, thats not true at all.

The 300px star brush doesnt look very good when scaled down a lot.

Does anybody know whether the scaling algorithm you can choose in the settings has an effect on scaling brushes ?

Bitmap or parametric brushes?
(11-17-2017, 12:42 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Bitmap or parametric brushes?

I had to look up parametric brush...
(How do you make a hardedged star with the (parametric) brush editor ?? Is that possible ?)

No, its a bitmap, made in Inkscape and converted to a .gbr in Gimp.
(11-17-2017, 12:57 PM)Espermaschine Wrote: I had to look up parametric brush...
(How do you make a hardedged star with the (parametric) brush editor ?? Is that possible ?)

No, its a bitmap, made in Inkscape and converted to a .gbr in Gimp.

The parametric brush editor has a hardness setting. Set to 100%. These brushes are vectors so they scale well.

In the attached image, the "flower" is a parametric circle with 7 spikes. Play with the settings to get a large variation of effects.

Edit: Forgot to attach image. Here it is

Attached Files Image(s)

(11-17-2017, 01:19 PM)Blighty Wrote: The parametric brush editor has a hardness setting. Set to 100%. These brushes are vectors so they scale well.

I missed what the Aspect Ratio sliders does. So yeah, you can make a hardedged vector star brush.
Good to know !
Thanks Blighty.

Im interested in bitmap brushes and their scaling behaviour.
I was kind of excited about vector brushes in Gimp, but i made another experiment with a 12-sided star brush, and have to say the bitmap brushes still look better than the parametric Gimp brush Sad

Bitmap Brush...looks smooth maybe a tiny bit blurry.

Parametric Brush...looks slightly crusty and pixelated.