Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brush painting with background color instead of foreground color
So I'm relatively new to Gimp, and I was working on something when suddenly the brush started painting with the background color instead of the foreground color. It's like this no matter what colors are selected for foreground and background, it always paints in whatever is set as the background color now. I tried updating Gimp (to 2.10.24 revision 3) and resetting preferences and neither of them fixed the problem. Did I accidentally press the wrong thing by accident or something? How do I get it back to normal?
What are the "brush dynamics" set to? Some brush dynamics operate across a gradient, and if your gradient is the usual FG to BG  and the brush uses the end of the gradient you would get this behavior. Colors from gradient and a short fade length woul dbehave that way.

No need to reinstall Gimp to reset settings. See here for hints about managing your Gimp options.
(06-06-2021, 11:05 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What are the "brush dynamics" set to? Some brush dynamics operate across a gradient, and if your gradient is the usual FG to BG  and the brush uses the end of the gradient you would get this behavior. Colors from gradient and a short fade length woul dbehave that way.

No need to reinstall Gimp to reset settings. See here for hints about managing your Gimp options.

I just checked and it was set to Color from Gradient, so I changed it back to Basic Dynamics and that fixed it! Thank you!
(06-07-2021, 12:01 AM)oppositeyolkcitizen Wrote:
(06-06-2021, 11:05 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What are the "brush dynamics" set to? Some brush dynamics operate across a gradient, and if your gradient is the usual FG to BG  and the brush uses the end of the gradient you would get this behavior. Colors from gradient and a short fade length woul dbehave that way.

I just checked and it was set to Color from Gradient, so I changed it back to Basic Dynamics and that fixed it! Thank you!

You should have set it to "Dynamics off" instead Smile