Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brush size changes without input
Hello,
       Just about ready to uninstall this program.

Why does the size of my brush change to some random number without any input from me?

(06-07-2020, 07:12 AM)Tutoh Wrote: Why does the size of my brush change to some random number without any input from me?

There is always input from the user.

Without seeing all of the tool options. Try setting the dynamics option to Dynamics OFF
Under Paintbrush, I've changed Dynamics to Dynamics off and the issue still occurs.

Here's my preferences:

You got rid of that '_blend' dynamic (whatever that is) like this https://i.imgur.com/asHjlQK.mp4 but it still occurs ?

The brush looks ok, it's not animated, can rule that out. Are you using a graphics tablet ? Some of those can cause problems.

By default Gimp saves any tools changes when the user closes Gimp. Try going back into Edit -> Preferences and

In Tool Options: Click on Reset Tool Options to Default Values
In Input Devices: Click on Reset Saved Input Device Settings to Default Values

OK the Preferences dialogue. Restart Gimp, Check the problem.
I should be more specific here. In my original video, it was not changing to a random number, but a specific number that I did not want.

_ease 160 is a custom brush that I want to stay at 160 pixels when I choose it. It keeps changing to 321.
_ease 320 is a custom brush that I want to stay at 320 pixels when I choose it. It keeps changing to 641.

All those rectangular "_draw" brushes in the palette were created by copying square regions of a specific pixel size. As a result, the size returns to that default every time I use another brush, which is what I want. These "_ease" brushes (I only just figured out that brushes are listed in the brush palette in alphabetical order only) were created from scratch using the round brush in the brush editor.

Quote:In Tool Options: Click on Reset Tool Options to Default Values
In Input Devices: Click on Reset Saved Input Device Settings to Default Values

OK the Preferences dialogue. Restart Gimp, Check the problem.

I've tried this and the issue remains.
(06-07-2020, 09:38 PM)Tutoh Wrote: I should be more specific here. In my original video, it was not changing to a random number, but a specific number that I did not want.

_ease 160 is a custom brush that I want to stay at 160 pixels when I choose it. It keeps changing to 321.
_ease 320 is a custom brush that I want to stay at 320 pixels when I choose it. It keeps changing to 641.

When you create a brush with the brush editor, the size you specify is a radius. The brush size you see in the Tool options dialog is the bounding box of the brush, which is more or less its diameter. Hence a brush with a 160px radius is really a 321px brush (center pixel plus two radiuses).
Thanks for that, Ofnuts. I've tried making other brushes and I understand how that works now.

I'm trying to bring my brush palette from Photoshop over to Gimp and it's quite the task.

In Photoshop, I will always use the mouse to make fine adjustments to the brush settings before painting with the Wacom. In GIMP, I'm assigned one brush for the mouse and another one for the Wacom, and if I make any movement with that device, that is the brush that is displayed and used.

That said, it seems I need far few brushes now because it's the Dynamics that I'll mostly be changing to get the effects that I want.

Are there any hotkeys that can be set for changing Dynamics on a brush?
(06-09-2020, 12:56 AM)Tutoh Wrote: Thanks for that, Ofnuts. I've tried making other brushes and I understand how that works now.

I'm trying to bring my brush palette from Photoshop over to Gimp and it's quite the task.

In Photoshop, I will always use the mouse to make fine adjustments to the brush settings before painting with the Wacom. In GIMP, I'm assigned one brush for the mouse and another one for the Wacom, and if I make any movement with that device, that is the brush that is displayed and used.

That said, it seems I need far few brushes now because it's the Dynamics that I'll mostly be changing to get the effects that I want.

Are there any hotkeys that can be set for changing Dynamics on a brush?

None I know about. But you can use Edit>Preferences>Input devices>Extended input devices>Share tool and tool options between input devices to share settings between mouse ans stylus, and so use the mouse for your adjustments. Note that this also makes your Wacom stylus have the same tool at both ends.
Quote:I will always use the mouse to make fine adjustments to the brush settings before painting with the Wacom. ..

I did ask earlier if you were using a graphics tablet. post #4

Gimp does use two sets of settings one for the mouse and one for a tablet.
(06-09-2020, 06:24 AM)Ofnut Wrote: None I know about. But you can use Edit>Preferences>Input devices>Extended input devices>Share tool and tool options between input devices to share settings between mouse ans stylus, and so use the mouse for your adjustments. Note that this also makes your Wacom stylus have the same tool at both ends.

See, I don't know where else you're supposed to find things like this out. This is great! I never use the eraser end of the stylus anyway, not when there's so many hotkeys available.