Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucket fill is tinting my entire image
Shocked 
[Image: 5f02e79b-f984-4e92-be63-c2c36057c012-ori...fit=bounds]
The upper image is the original; the bottom image is my attempt to bucket-fill with tan replacing the gray. This is very close to the minimum threshold to eliminate all of the dark gray, and as you can see, the tan that I bucket filled with is overlaying the white as well… not REPLACING the white, but mixing with it. This has happened recently with a variety of different images, with a variety of different colors both in the images and with the attempted bucket-fills; the result is as if I was looking at the image through tinted glasses, rather than the bucket fill just working on the selected color. I must have accidentally changed some sort of setting… does anyone have any idea what it might be?
Lots of guess to do. It would help if you could post a screen print of your entire screen showing tool options, layers dialogue, etc.

How are you making the selection? Is the selection still active when you do the bucket fill?

Are you bucket filling the original layer, or another layer above the original?

For the bucket fill tool options, what is the Mode set to? Is it Normal or something else?
Similar to Blighty's post

Still using Gimp 2.8?

Can you give a few more details of your work flow and the settings. A screen shot would be great.

There might be different and maybe better ways. This left side, a straight bucket fill of similar colours, leaves a few speckles. Right side is color-select white, invert, fill.

[Image: o8TAi1u.jpg]

Do you want to retain the grey "mottling"? The more information the better.
(11-07-2018, 06:56 PM)Blighty Wrote: Lots of guess to do. It would help if you could post a screen print of your entire screen showing tool options, layers dialogue, etc.

How are you making the selection? Is the selection still active when you do the bucket fill?

Are you bucket filling the original layer, or another layer above the original?

For the bucket fill tool options, what is the Mode set to? Is it Normal or something else?

[Image: a2f1eff2-20f3-43e2-b3e9-501be99583ba-ori...fit=bounds]

I’m hoping that this screen cap shows everything you wanted… I have no idea what the etc might be, LOL!

I’m not making a selection, I’m just clicking on the bucket fill tool and then clicking on the image, just like I always have.

Everything I'm doing is on one layer.

The mode is set to normal. :-)

(11-07-2018, 07:09 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Similar to Blighty's post

Still using Gimp 2.8?

Can you give a few more details of your work flow and the settings. A screen shot would be great.

There might be different and maybe better ways. This left side, a straight bucket fill of similar colours, leaves a few speckles. Right side is color-select white, invert, fill.

[Image: o8TAi1u.jpg]

Do you want to retain the grey "mottling"? The more information the better.

I’m still using 2.8, yes. I’m not sure what you mean by workflow, but I posted a screen cap of my various panels. Any settings anywhere else in the program are whatever it came with.

The desired result here is pure white undifferentiated spots on a tan undifferentiated background, with no speckles of gray. The problem is that even though the white and the gray are very far apart, the bucket fill is still affecting the white, and not even the way it's supposed to, because it is not replacing the white, it is mixing with it.
1) Select the white with the Colour Select Tool

2) Select > Invert

3) Select the bucket fill tool. Affected Area must be set to "Fill whole selection"

4) Set foreground colour

5) Bucket fill

6) Select > None
(11-07-2018, 08:04 PM)Blighty Wrote: 1) Select the white with the Colour Select Tool

2) Select > Invert

3) Select the bucket fill tool. Affected Area must be set to "Fill whole selection"

4) Set foreground colour

5) Bucket fill

6) Select > None

Yes, that will certainly work in this instance, thank you! Unfortunately, it will not work in most cases, where there are far more than just 2 colors, and it does not address or fix the issue of bucket fill tinting the entire image, which was my question in this thread. :-)
The bucket fill has two modes: Fill whole selection, and Fill similar colors and . With the first mode it abides to the selection. With the second it ignores the selection (see that second mode as being a combined Select by color+Bucket-fill selection).

Since you are using that Fill similar colors option, with a large threshold to boot, the Select by color part selects about everything (and is sensitive to where you click...).

IMHO what you want is:
  • Color select the white spots
  • Invert the selection
  • Bucket-fil the selection
(11-07-2018, 10:33 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: The bucket fill has two modes: Fill whole selection, and Fill similar colors and . With the first mode it abides to the selection. With the second it ignores the selection (see that second mode as being a combined Select by color+Bucket-fill selection).

Since you are using that Fill similar colors option, with a large threshold to boot,  the Select by color part selects about everything (and is sensitive to where you click...).

IMHO what you want is:
  • Color select the white spots
  • Invert the selection
  • Bucket-fil the selection

I could understand if the bucket fill was filling similar colors, but it is affecting EVERY color in the image, even colors that are nowhere close to each other as in this instance, and it is just lightly tinting them, not actually “filling” them… even with a much lower threshold. This is not how bucket fill is supposed to function, and I’m trying to find out why it is doing that, and how to stop it, not how to bucket fill the image I showed you. :-)
In your screenshot the Foreground color in the toolbox swashes (a neutral gray) isn't the one that appears to have been used to bucket-fill...

Can we start again from scratch, with the original image, the actual FG color. You can also attach the before and after images (as XCF)?
(11-08-2018, 07:33 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: In your screenshot the Foreground color in the toolbox swashes (a neutral gray) isn't the one that appears to have been used to bucket-fill...

Can we start again from scratch, with the original image, the actual FG color. You can also attach the before and after images (as XCF)?

My before and after images are available in my first post. The toolbox settings would be the same, because I never touch them, other than the threshold that I didn’t record the exact # for and so can’t duplicate, and of course the little square showing a different foreground color. :-)

The bucket fill shouldn’t be tinting an entire image EVER, right, regardless of what threshold or foreground color I pick? Based on every article I’ve read, it should either be filling or not filling; I haven’t been able to find any other examples of Gimp behaving this way.