Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Business Card help
[attachment=8835][attachment=8835]Using version 2.10
I'm trying to produce a business card for a WWII veteran.
I have a photo of his medal that I masked off in After Effects that is currently 600x1500.  The original medal size was 2400x3000.
I downloaded a business card template and shrunk it down to fit but it looks terrible.
Then I opened both in Gimp and have not been able to figure out how to resize the 600x1500 medal to fit in the template.
There is also text; name, etc. that I used on the After Effects business card version which also looks terrible.
The After Effects forum suggested I can produce a better version in Gimp.

I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions that will allow me to make this 98 year old Normandy veteran happy.
(by the way, I'm 74 and kind of technically challenged)

Thank you!
Can you try to attach your picture again please or put a link from another site where you have it uploaded. I cannot see it

Smile
(10-13-2022, 02:33 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Can you try to attach your picture again please or put a link from another site where you have it uploaded. I cannot see it

+1 with Sallyanne

How to post a photo > https://www.gimp-forum.net/misc.php?action=help&hid=11
Also, If you could post the template you used for the card as well (in a zipped/compressed/archive file type) on the forum (or a free hosting website) it would be a plus to help you do it quickly
@nova

Quote:The original medal size was 2400x3000.
I downloaded a business card template and shrunk it down to fit but it looks terrible.

As well as the image of the medal (for info and comments) what format and size in pixels is the template ?  Many printing companies these days supply a template as a PDF. Gimp opens any PDF with a resolution of 100 pixels-per-inch (ppi) You must increase the ppi to 300 which is the usual for quality printing. The canvas will still be small, a biz card typically 3.5" x 2" is only 1050x600 pix @ 300 ppi

However, in the meantime, a video which might get you started.

https://youtu.be/s3-0BMeA-Pg

(10-13-2022, 02:33 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Can you try to attach your picture again please or put a link from another site where you have it uploaded. I cannot see it

Thanks very much for all of your suggestions! I found a site that transforms photos.  Hope it works!

Here is the blank template:
[Image: y082x4.jpg]

Here is the medal:
[Image: ikPDex.jpg]

Here is the After Effects: (I blurred his address)
[Image: kH9BNZ.jpg]

And here is the hero:
[Image: JhP6ue.jpg]

(10-13-2022, 11:40 AM)rich2005 Wrote: @nova

As well as the image of the medal (for info and comments) what format and size in pixels is the template ?  Many printing companies these days supply a template as a PDF. Gimp opens any PDF with a resolution of 100 pixels-per-inch (ppi) You must increase the ppi to 300 which is the usual for quality printing. The canvas will still be small, a biz card typically 3.5" x 2" is only 1050x600 pix @ 300 ppi

I downloaded the template from a company called Brandly.  Its size is as you wrote; 3.5x2.  Not sure what the ppi is.
(10-13-2022, 02:50 PM)nova Wrote:

Thanks very much for all of your suggestions! I found a site that transforms photos.  Hope it works!

Here is the blank template:
[Image: y082x4.jpg]

Here is the medal:
[Image: ikPDex.jpg]

Here is the After Effects: (I blurred his address)
[Image: kH9BNZ.jpg]

And here is the hero:
[Image: JhP6ue.jpg]

(10-13-2022, 11:40 AM)rich2005 Wrote: @nova

I downloaded the template from a company called Brandly.  Its size is as you wrote; 3.5x2.  Not sure what the ppi is.

Thanks for the video.  I noticed a bounding box for scaling but when I try that with the medal there is no box.
(10-13-2022, 03:56 PM)nova Wrote: Thanks for the video.  I noticed a bounding box for scaling but when I try that with the medal there is no box.

Well, it all comes with practice. Gimp does not use 'bounding boxes' that is very much a vector thing.

The Brandly page is quite good, lots of useful information. The templates are in Adobe .ai format but Gimp will open as a PDF. Click on show all files otherwise the .ai files are hidden. As in the video you need to set the ppi to 300 otherwise you get the tiny image you posted. This is a common beginner error, going by inch size instead of Gimp pixel size.

This is opening the template. What to look for.

and this is a comparison of the 300 ppi template and your image. Both at 100% in Gimp.

Attached the larger image as a Gimp file. Might give you a starting point. Note the use of guides to mark the crop size. The guides only exist inside Gimp, not part of the final exported image.  Best of luck

Attached Files
.gz   card.xcf.gz (Size: 469.27 KB / Downloads: 55)
(10-13-2022, 06:02 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(10-13-2022, 03:56 PM)nova Wrote: Thanks for the video.  I noticed a bounding box for scaling but when I try that with the medal there is no box.

Well, it all comes with practice. Gimp does not use 'bounding boxes' that is very much a vector thing.

The Brandly page is quite good, lots of useful information. The templates are in Adobe .ai format but Gimp will open as a PDF. Click on show all files otherwise the .ai files are hidden. As in the video you need to set the ppi to 300 otherwise you get the tiny image you posted. This is a common beginner error, going by inch size instead of Gimp pixel size.

This is opening the template. What to look for.

and this is a comparison of the 300 ppi template and your image. Both at 100% in Gimp.

Attached the larger image as a Gimp file. Might give you a starting point. Note the use of guides to mark the crop size. The guides only exist inside Gimp, not part of the final exported image.  Best of luck
Thanks again.  I may not have called it correctly.  The video I watched, from above, showed a box with handles for resizing the image.  My trying to resize the image doesn't show that type of handle.

[Image: fskMFO.jpg]
I must be doing something wrong.
Different tool. That is Image -> Scale image You can use that if you want, just enter a new width in the dialogue then click on scale. Your screenshot shows you are in the rotate tool (Gimp always has an active tool) As in the video, if you can not find the scale tool in the tool box (it is in the same group as rotate) use the menu Tools -> Transform Tools -> Scale

Keep practising, you get it eventually.
(10-13-2022, 06:29 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Different tool. That is  Image -> Scale image You can use that if you want, just enter  a new width in the dialogue then click on scale.  Your screenshot shows you are in the rotate tool (Gimp always has an active tool) As in the video, if you can not find the scale tool in the tool box (it is in the same group as rotate) use the menu Tools -> Transform Tools -> Scale

Thanks.  Think I figured out the scale.  Now am trying to put it on the card in a blank layer?  When I tried that before it merged them.

[Image: ieQ7fF.jpg]

(10-13-2022, 06:43 PM)nova Wrote:
(10-13-2022, 06:29 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Different tool. That is  Image -> Scale image You can use that if you want, just enter  a new width in the dialogue then click on scale.  Your screenshot shows you are in the rotate tool (Gimp always has an active tool) As in the video, if you can not find the scale tool in the tool box (it is in the same group as rotate) use the menu Tools -> Transform Tools -> Scale

Thanks.  Think I figured out the scale.  Now am trying to put it on the card in a blank layer?  When I tried that before it merged them.

[Image: ieQ7fF.jpg]
Yippee!  A copy/past/scale did the trick.  Now if I can figure out how to rotate the whole thing and add text I'm home feee (Maybe?)

[Image: kXWt1O.jpg]