Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CMYK + INKSCAPE - color profile
Hi!

A 2021 video tutorial showed how to install a FOGRA 39 CMYK color profile in Inkscape.

The link provided however is no longer active:
 "Aucun résultat
La page demandée est introuvable. Essayez d'affiner votre recherche ou utilisez le panneau de navigation ci-dessus pour localiser l'article."

I did a search and found at https://coloraim.fr/telechargements/ the link to: Profil de liaison FOGRA 51 vers FOGRA 39

I downloaded the file, but it is different from the one shown in the 2021 video.

In the video, you can see that the files obtained are: ISOcoated_v2_300_eci and ISOcoated_v2_eci

Already in the file that I downloaded the file is: PSOcoated_v3_to_ISOcoated_v2_DeviceLink.icc

Can I use this file?
Would it be a more updated version?

Thanks!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
I would try here https://proofing.de/topics/isocoated/

Back in Inkscape v0.4 there was an extension (plugin) to render a CMYK jpeg. Unfortunately never updated.

As far as I know Inkscape still only renders to RGB but maybe using the icc with a svg file is better for say importing into Scribus, which does export CMYK.

What is the 2021 video tutorial ?
(01-20-2023, 08:56 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I would try here https://proofing.de/topics/isocoated/

Back in Inkscape v0.4 there was an extension (plugin) to render a CMYK jpeg. Unfortunately never updated.

As far as I know Inkscape still only renders to RGB but maybe using the icc with a svg file is better for say importing into Scribus, which does export CMYK.

What is the 2021 video tutorial ?

rich2005,

I'll take a look at that link then.
Thanks!

The 2021 video is not in English, but I think it's understandable even without audio:
https://youtu.be/kadXZaUtD5E
I see some discussion about CMYK on their dev channel. As far as I know, a library Inkscape is using for this purpose does not support CMYK yet.

Try Krita, it can convert with ease

That looks like soft proofing an Inkscape graphic, to get a simulation of what it looks like printed. Very useful to know.
Edit: It does let you work with 'safe' colors, but remember when you export an image, it is RGB

To round that off in Gimp, (and I use image-by-image rather than the global settings in Edit > Preferences)

1. View -> Color Management -> Color-Manage this View

2. View -> Color Management -> Proof Colors

3. View -> Color Management -> Soft-Proofing Profile and choose the icc profile you require.

this a 30 second example using that ISO-Coated V2 (FOGRA 39) icc https://i.imgur.com/cvGENin.mp4

Of course Gimp is still a RGB editor the colors in the image are not changed, it is just a simulation. For a CMYK jpeg or tiff then there is the CYAN plugin.
(01-21-2023, 01:35 AM)meetdilip Wrote: I see some discussion about CMYK on their dev channel. As far as I know, a library Inkscape is using for this purpose does not support CMYK yet.

Try Krita, it can convert with ease

(01-21-2023, 09:29 AM)rich2005 Wrote: That looks like soft proofing an Inkscape graphic, to get a simulation of what it looks like printed. Very useful to know.
Edit: It does let you work with 'safe' colors, but remember when you export an image, it is RGB

To round that off in Gimp, (and I use image-by-image rather than the global settings in Edit > Preferences)

1. View -> Color Management -> Color-Manage this View

2. View -> Color Management -> Proof Colors

3. View -> Color Management -> Soft-Proofing Profile and choose the icc profile you require.

this a 30 second example using that ISO-Coated V2 (FOGRA 39) icc https://i.imgur.com/cvGENin.mp4

Of course Gimp is still a RGB editor the colors in the image are not changed, it is just a simulation. For a CMYK jpeg or tiff then there is the CYAN plugin.

meetdilip,

Hmmmm interesting, definitely tempting feature. Looks like I'll have to learn to play with Krita sooner or later.
Thanks for the tip!

rich2005,

The file I downloaded (as per the first post) does not produce the expected result in Inkscape.
It even loads and appears in the menus, but it doesn't produce the palette for editing the colors.

I don't know if I missed a step in the video, or if I'm missing some adjustment. I'm using version 1.2 of Inkscape (Win)

In the case of Gimp, how do I get the ISO-Coated V2 (FOGRA 39) icc you used? Is this file free to share?

I tried the steps you showed in the .mp4 of the previous post, but in my Gimp the file I downloaded also doesn't produce any changes.

In other words, both in Inkscape and in Gimp, the file I downloaded (PSOcoated_v3_to_ISOcoated_v2_DeviceLink.icc) installs and loads without problems, but without any real effect.

Thx guys!
You are welcome Smile
(01-21-2023, 01:26 PM)meetdilip Wrote: You are welcome Smile

Big Grin

PS:

I remembered that after installing the color profile I didn't restart either Inkscape or The Gimp.

Hoping that after restarting the thing would work...

I restarted.
In Gimp, no change.
In Inskscape, the profile disappeared from the options menus. I reconfigured again. No change.

The 'give-us-your-email-address' put me off, but not needed Wink  The zip to download is this one:

That contains the two profiles ISOcoated_v2_300_eci.icc  and ISOcoated_v2_eci.icc - that one the same as I used. Each about 1.83 MB

In linux, the place to put them is your home folder ~/.local/share/color/icc but for Windows I understand it uses Control panel > Color management > All Profiles > Add

For me, that puts the additional profiles top of the list. Maybe down the list in Windows. (for Gimp you can put then anywhere, and use Select color profile from disk option)

Then in Inkscape it should look like this

That little svg attached. Does it work in your Inkscape ?

Attached Files
.svg   drawing.svg (Size: 2.04 KB / Downloads: 77)
Okay, looks like I got it.

It doesn't work like in the video, maybe due to the difference between the inkscape versions used (1.1 x 1.2)

The way it's working doesn't have much (or any particity), I was hoping it would be possible to adjust the colors as shown in the video.

In the image, colors with cmyk, fogra39 and fogra27 patterns.