Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
CMYK color mode Gimp 2.10
Exclamation 
i have GIMP 2.10 . separate+ plugin color management plugin" did not work with it ,so the questions are 
-
How to install it without errors "while gimp 2.10 loading", i am sure i did all steps correctly. ? 
-
IS there another plugin  or way can do this  ?
thanks.
Separate+ was originally made for Gimp 2.4 - not maintained - not going to work as intended in Gimp 2.10

There is another application that can be used with Gimp 2.10 

Cyan  https://cyan.fxarena.net  This can be used as both stand-alone application and with a Gimp plugin. The plugin installs first time you run Cyan.

-----------------------------
Edit: There is a new version  (version 2) of CYAN that is stand-alone and does not work with Gimp.
Version 1.2 is the one for Gimp see: https://github.com/rodlie/cyan/tree/1.2 for downloads.

Edit: Windows users need an updated version not on the site: Get it from
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=...WoCJE51Jfk  (11 MB zip file)
or the original from https://sourceforge.net/projects/prepress/files/1.2.1/ Note, this is a 7z archive
-----------------------------
This version is very new, bound to be some bugs, if you find one, do not tell me, tell the Cyan developer.

This a short video on use in Win10 & Gimp 2.10.8

direct link https://youtu.be/1A0Aaoy1mhQ duration about 4 minutes.
(12-05-2018, 01:44 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Cyan  https://cyan.fxarena.net  This can be used as both stand-alone application and with a Gimp plugin. The plugin installs first time you run Cyan.

i have potable GIMP , i did all steps. " i added CYAN to GIMP plugins ,  user folder( may i did not need that but i did it) .  and customized it like you said in the video. " gimp loading window when it gets to CYAN.exe , cyan window appears and must close it so gimp can  continue loading then nothing happens , and no CYAN plugin in menus or gimp plugins browser .
-
 what should i do ?
-
thanks.
Quote:i have portable GIMP ,

That is the first problem, 
Are you using as a truly portable Gimp and using on different computers?
or
A matter of convenience and using on a single computer as an alternative to the regular installation?

If the second, then you might just get it working, maybe..perhaps..slim-chance.

Quote:i did all steps. " i added CYAN to GIMP plugins ,  user folder( may i did not need that but i did it)

No. Cyan.exe is not a Gimp plugin 
Do not use it as a plugin. Take it out of the plugins folder.

Explanation: When you run Cyan.exe it looks for the Gimp installation and installs a plugin cyan.py in the plugins folder. That plugin is customised to your installation (1) and makes an entry in the Gimp toolbar (2)

Best guess, using a portable Gimp that location is never found, no plugin, will not work in Gimp.

Quote:.  and customized it like you said in the video. " gimp loading window when it gets to CYAN.exe , cyan window appears and must close it so gimp can  continue loading then nothing happens , and no CYAN plugin in menus or gimp plugins browser .

Watch the video again. For any others the sequence is,
1. Put Cyan.exe somewhere accessible
2. Run it once to: a) set up the profiles b) let it write that plugin cyan.py to your Gimp plugins folder.  
3. Access the Cyan application via the cyan entry in the Gimp toolbar.

Quote:what should i do ?

1. Use a regular Gimp 2.10 installation

2. The slim-chance option: the cyan.py from Windows is attached. Once you have moved Cyan.exe somewhere sensible, edit line 13 for that location. Note: it will not work without that edit. Put the edited cyan.py in your portable Gimp plugins folder.

3. Cyan.exe works as a stand-alone application. Open your CMYK image and convert to RGB for Gimp. The same in reverse, save your RGB image and convert to CMYK.

4. Other applications, CMYK images should really be entirely created in that colour space. Use Krita.

edit: CMYK support in Gimp is still some time away according to the road-map https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Roadmap Sometime after a 3.2 release.

Attached Files
.zip   cyan.py.zip (Size: 1.39 KB / Downloads: 878)
(12-06-2018, 10:12 AM)rich2005 Wrote: A matter of convenience and using on a single computer as an alternative to the regular installation?
one of many reasons (at least for me) " i prefer portable copy than regular installation for GIMP especially GIMP "   
-
i edited the py plugin (exe path)  and CYAN now works on GIMP but when i choose import-save image it opens  a solid color layer instead of the image . 
-
so for now i am thinking to install GIMP "regular installation" and try again (even i do not like it) or i should just use it as a conversion tool or another tool to convert the images (after modification) any way "it is not a  full real time CMYK mode for GIMP , waiting finishing CMYK built-in development. #GIMP road map"
-
thanks.
Quote:i edited the py plugin (exe path) and CYAN now works on GIMP but when i choose import-save image it opens a solid color layer instead of the image

Probably still not finding the Cyan.exe file, that blank image is the temporary file the plugin makes.

Quote: so for now i am thinking to install GIMP "regular" and try again (even i do not like) , or should i just using it as a conversion tool or another Sub tool to convert the images ?.

I am a great believer in using what you are happy with, so keep your portable Gimp, The Cyan.exe works ok as a stand-alone converter, use it that way.

What version of portable Gimp do you use?
I am packing in for the night but I can have a little dabble tomorrow, time permitting (bad days Fridays, meet friends in afternoon...) Wink
(12-06-2018, 08:32 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I am a great believer in using what you are happy with, so keep your portable Gimp, The Cyan.exe works ok as a stand-alone converter, use it that way.
funny) that i edited ' the Frequency question part  in my post before seeing your response.  i found it is just better waiting GIMP development road map ,to the FULL built in CMYK mode and using any converting tools.
-
for the part of what portable version i am using , i am using  partha  gimp 2.10.8 . and using my main plugins that i used to use since i knew and moved to GIMP as my main graphic design software  .
-
Thanks rich
For Partha's portable Gimp 2.10, just more of the earlier post. I would like to make it more 'universal' but...

Depends where you installed the portable version. In this case, it might be in Drive D, could be elsewhere.

You put the application file Cyan.exe in with the portable installation.

Edit the cyan.py from the earlier post to point to that location.

Run Cyan.exe to set up the profile options

Put the edited cyan.py in the portable Gimp plugins folder ...Gimp-2.10.8-std\portable\plug-ins

Works here, but takes that bit of setting up.
(12-07-2018, 04:54 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Put the edited cyan.py in the portable Gimp plugins folder ...Gimp-2.10.8-std\portable\plug-ins
Works here, but takes that bit of setting up.

it worked !. i think it might did not work before that because there is a number in " GIMP folder path name " so i moved it direct to D to an folder with simple non numbers name . when i edited the py i noticed  space between the numb and character so i tried to delete the space ,recopy the path  as it etc but nothing happened. any way i think it might the issue was in GIMP folder path name  .
-
thanks rich
Hello, I hope it's no problem to revive this thread with a question regarding cyan in gimp?

I wanted to export an image or convert into cmyk.

I ran cyan and the plugin is active in gimp.

So how exactly can I change the image from RGB to CMYK ?