Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't Install ANY version of GIMP
Microsoft reinstalled windows last month so I'm having to reinstall everything!

Last week I think I had version GIMP 2.10.30? It said there was an upgrade so I installed version 2.10.34.

Half the time it would open without the tools showing in the usual top left corner or anywhere else. I'd reopen and it would show up just fine.

Today I got tired of it and decided to reinstall an older version. A couple of years ago I had a really nice version that worked well and even let me use my Redfield plugins without any trouble. So today I installed version 2.8.14 - I couldn't even choose the size of the icons, so I uninstalled and downloaded a version up.

There were a couple similar versions without the options to change the size of the icons, so again they were uninstalled and the next one installed.

Then I got a version that I could change the icon sizes on but when it started up it gave me error messages, as did the next few versions.

I've tried installing as the Administrator. I've tried troubleshooting the compatibility option. It told me I needed something newer than Windows 7. Since I'm running Windows 10 that wasn't any help.

I'm now at version 2.10.32 and when I try to open GIMP it runs, then gives me about 5 error messages such as"
Can't proceed because libicuuc72.dll was not found. Reinstalling may fix it. (my wording).

Then it opens up the program. I don't want to deal with those errors every time I use GIMP. I open it up on average about 7 times a day.

Each version for about the last 5 versions has given me the same error messages.

I've restarted the computer several times. Reinstalled the version as the error message suggested.

Version 2.10.34 is the one that wasn't working right, so I've run out of versions to try.

I don't know what else to try.     Huh

I can use Photoshop Elements, but for main part I prefer to use GIMP.
(05-23-2023, 09:35 PM)AngelH Wrote: Microsoft reinstalled windows last month so I'm having to reinstall everything!

Last week I think I had version GIMP 2.10.30? It said there was an upgrade so I installed version 2.10.34.

Half the time it would open without the tools showing in the usual top left corner or anywhere else. I'd reopen and it would show up just fine.

Today I got tired of it and decided to reinstall an older version. A couple of years ago I had a really nice version that worked well and even let me use my Redfield plugins without any trouble. So today I installed version 2.8.14 - I couldn't even choose the size of the icons, so I uninstalled and downloaded a version up.

There were a couple similar versions without the options to change the size of the icons, so again they were uninstalled and the next one installed.

Then I got a version that I could change the icon sizes on but when it started up it gave me error messages, as did the next few versions.

I've tried installing as the Administrator. I've tried troubleshooting the compatibility option. It told me I needed something newer than Windows 7. Since I'm running Windows 10 that wasn't any help.

I'm now at version 2.10.32 and when I try to open GIMP it runs, then gives me about 5 error messages such as"
Can't proceed because libicuuc72.dll was not found. Reinstalling may fix it. (my wording).

Then it opens up the program. I don't want to deal with those errors every time I use GIMP. I open it up on average about 7 times a day.

Each version for about the last 5 versions has given me the same error messages.

I've restarted the computer several times. Reinstalled the version as the error message suggested.

Version 2.10.34 is the one that wasn't working right, so I've run out of versions to try.

I don't know what else to try.     Huh

I can use Photoshop Elements, but for main part I prefer to use GIMP.

When you install Gimp it will look for exiting user profiles and migrate them. So if your profile isn't how you like it, switching versions isn't going to help. So  when things go sour the fir thing to try is to erase rename your Gimp profile so that Gimp recreates a fresh one.

The Gimp UI has changed a bit between versions, the main thing being the "single window mode". So to remove it/resinstate it, got to Windows ➤ Single-window mode

libicuuc72.dll appears to be part of the set of Linux libraries that are ported to Windows to support Gimp (this is the Unicode support), so it should be in your installation package. This could be the tip of th iceberg and several more could be missing. Somewhere in the Gimp installation directory in C:\Program files there should be a lib directory (together with its run and share brothers) and this lib should contain a whole bunch of lib-something.dll. Is this is the case?
The required files are there in Gimp 2.10.34 (but not Gimp 2.10.32) see: https://discuss.pixls.us/t/unable-to-get...tall/36458  It looks like OP has gimp_gmic_qt plugin installed.

After so many installs of different Gimp versions, I think a complete purge of all Gimp files and User profiles is the way to go.
@rich2005

Thank you for the link to the other forum. It's nice to know I'm not the only one having this problem.

However, you stated (I couldn't get the quote option to work)
After so many installs of different Gimp versions, I think a complete purge of all Gimp files and User profiles is the way to go.
Each uninstall asks if I want everything Gimp related uninstalled and I tell it yes. So that should take Gimp right off of the system shouldn't it?
I posted this earlier as things to look out for, especially if you have installed Gimp 2.8 sometime.

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-major-...5#pid17955

I would always use the Windows uninstaller first. Then restart Windows and delete anything C:\Program Files\GIMP 2 There is always something left over.

Then it is those pesky User Profiles. Disable by renaming (or delete, if nothing important in them).

A Gimp 2.10.34 install should work. It is worth going for the latest Gimp 2.10, it is good.

If you use the gimp_gmic_qt plugin, use the latest version. Older versions do not work with Gimp 2.10.34 and conversely the latest gmic does not work with older versions of Gimp.
Wink 
Hi Rich2005

Thank you for your help. Shy

I uninstalled version 2.10.32 and then went to the Programs folder and there was still a lot of Gimp there, so I deleted that Gimp folder.

Then I went to C:\Users> My Name > App Data > Roaming > Gimp > 2.10and found the Palettes folder and copied the palettes I created to the Downloads folder so they'd be easy to find.

Then I deleted the Gimp folder in the Roaming folder.

Then I reinstalled version 2.10.34.

SUCCESS! 

No error messages on starting up. And it opens with the tool icons showing properly.

Thank you for sharing your expertise. Smile Smile  Smile

Angel