Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't edit brush size, etc
Hello, I'm running 2.8.16, and I'm having trouble adjusting the brushes. Even though I've changed the brush size in the Brush Editor, the size doesn't actually change. I came across this link (http://www.gimptalk.com/index.php?/topic...what-i-do/) in which someone said that the brushes are read-only, and can only be adjusted with Tool Options. That DOES adjust brush size, but there's no slider for hardness....

So, I tried creating a new brush, but that brush suffers from the same problem of not being adjustable...

Help!

Harry
You have been looking at old information, probably for Gimp 2.6 where there were lots of pre-made brushes of different sizes. Still there in Gimp 2.8 but hidden.

What you are using is the brush editor for creating Gimp parametric brushes. you can do that if you want to, save them in your Gimp profile brushes folder.

To change the size of any brush you now use the size slider in the tool options.

edit: There are other ways of changing the brush size. Try the square brackets ] [ which increase one-pix-at-a-time then with ctrl or shift for large steps sorry not for Windows users.
Thanks for the quick response, Rich, and the picture! Very helpful. I count 56 pre-made brushes, visible with the Brushes window (Ctrl-Shft-B), including a green pepper brush... So none of these is editable, it looks like, except that through tool options I can change the size and a few other things (but not hardness). I can also make a new brush, which appears in the same brush window, and this brush can be adjusted as I like, including hardness -- and I can still change the size with tool options. Is that correct?
I don't see a menu choice for saving this brush.
Also, are there other brushes besides parametric brushes?
Thanks again, Harry
(06-05-2017, 09:24 PM)harryllama Wrote: Thanks for the quick response, Rich, and the picture!  Very helpful.  I count 56 pre-made brushes, visible with the Brushes window (Ctrl-Shft-B), including a green pepper brush... So none of these is editable, it looks like, except that through tool options I can change the size and a few other things (but not hardness). I can also make a new brush, which appears in the same brush window, and this brush can be adjusted as I like, including hardness -- and I can still change the size with tool options. Is that correct?
Thanks again, Harry

Anything which is not round, polygonal or star-shaped is likely a non-parametric brush (among the standard ones: Oils*, Sparks, Confetti, Pepper, ...)
(06-05-2017, 09:24 PM)harryllama Wrote: ...I count 56 pre-made brushes, visible with the Brushes window (Ctrl-Shft-B), including a green pepper brush... So none of these is editable, it looks like, except that through tool options I can change the size and a few other things (but not hardness). I can also make a new brush, which appears in the same brush window, and this brush can be adjusted as I like, including hardness -- and I can still change the size with tool options. Is that correct?

It is all in the Gimp documentation (somewhere) starting point https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-brushes.html and some old-ish but useful info http://libregraphicsworld.org/articles.p...icle_id=30

As I see it:

Look in Edit -> Preferences Folders -> Brushes and by default there are two locations for brushes, your Gimp profile folder and the Gimp installation folder. These have a 'writeable' tick box. Do not try and make the Program Files writeable, this only affects the Gimp profile and any extra folder(s) you might create.

[Image: 1YGBJFC.jpg]

If you look in the Gimp Installation files there is a folder full of the old Gimp 2.6 brush files. Lots of similar brushes of different sizes needed. Gimp 2.6 did not have the same tools as Gimp 2.8  Nothing to stop you copying these to your Gimp profile for use and/or editing.

[Image: GDtmzjp.jpg]

In Gimp 2.8 and the brush editor. This only edits parametric (.vbr) brushes. How to differentiate brushes in the brush dialogue. Bottom right corner in each icon is a symbol. Nothing for .gbr, A little + for .vbr and a triangle for animated (.gih) brushes.

For a .vbr brush in an editable folder, The circular arrow right size of the size slider in the tool options resets to the specified size.

[Image: H4qmAAb.jpg]

Change the size in the brush editor, click the arrow and the brush takes the new size.
Saving brushes, Bottom of the Brushes dialogue, the usual, edit, create, duplicate, delete, refresh options.

[Image: bkpuGBc.jpg]

Easy way to make a new .vbr brush.
Use one of the existing .vbr brushes
Duplicate it

[Image: 16xW1Tv.jpg]

Give it a new name, change the properties as required, refresh the brushes.
Brush is saved in your Gimp profile

[Image: NMtCoRy.jpg]
Thank you for the visuals those really helped. I have been having trouble with getting the circle to enlarge (for over a year now) even though I changed the brush size to something like 400 I still couldn't see the circle? Huh

I am happy to report that my brushes now operate correctly thank you so much!! Big Grin Big Grin

-Moonbeam