Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't load files
I just downloaded GIMP 2.10.8 on Feb. 23rd.  I am on Win 7 32-bit. Home desktop PC.

When I try to open a file from either my desktop c\ drive or a thumb drive, GIMP does not recognize any file type. I have tried TIFFs, JPEGs and PNGs.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling GIMP, but this did not help.

Thanks for any advice.
Do it work if you use the File>Open menu in Gimp or is it just a matter of associating Gimp with the image files?

If File>Open doesn't work, go to Edit>Preferences, open the Folders section, and clik on Plugins. On the right side you should have two directories listed, one being in \Users\{your_id} and one in C:\Program files navigate to the latter with a file explorer, do you see files named file-something.exe, or file-something-save.exe or file-something-load.exe?
When I go to 'File' and 'open' (whether it's 'open', 'open as layers' or 'open location') all I ever get is this error message:

[Image: gimp1.jpg]

I've tried TIFF, JPEG, and PNG files, they all give this error.

If I go to Edit > preferences, all I ever get is this error message...

[Image: gimp.jpg]
Is C:\users\Jonathan\Pictures\Photo a real file on the disk? Or a directory? Or part of a name (I would expect at least a file extension...)? Did you try to load files from another directory (C:\tmp or somesuch)?
@BCarp

There is a problem with some Windows 7 32 bit and Gimp 2.10.8 installations see:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/2482

It is worth rolling back to to the previous Gimp 2.10.6 and see if it makes a difference.

download: https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gim...etup-1.exe
It's a directory path to a folder called 'photo'. The file itself, which is the only file in the folder, has a file name, but this name does not appear in the file directory path name.

Thanks rich2005 for letting me know. Seems odd that the developers did not test on 32-bit.
(02-27-2019, 08:12 AM)BCarp Wrote: It's a directory path to a folder called 'photo'. The file itself, which is the only file in the folder, has a file name, but this name does not appear in the file directory path name.

Thanks rich2005 for letting me know. Seems odd that the developers did not test on 32-bit.

The developers are mostly on Linux. And even on Windows 32-bit machines are becoming quite rare.
(02-27-2019, 08:12 AM)BCarp Wrote: .... Seems odd that the developers did not test on 32-bit.

The developers do test it (a little) 

Quote:...I basically install it in a 32-bit Windows 7 and 10 VMs, check that it runs and can open and save files, and test a few effects

However, it depends on the Windows 7 installation. Gimp 2.10.8 works with their testing set up
but
Definitely crashes with my Win7 VM

So it is a might/might-not work solution.
I guess I'll try and install the earlier version.

Is there much difference between 2.10.8 and 2.10.6 feature wise?
Not much, only the straightener thing in the Measure tool springs to mind.