Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot find Sans font
Hello everyone, I have used Gimp 2.8.22 to create visuals using the font "Sans", which I believe was the preset font after opening the program. I downloaded the newest version of Gimp - and cannot find that font anymore. I also cannot find it in any other graphic software.

Is there anyone who can help me locate this font or tell me how I can find it in a newer Gimp version/other software? Would much appreciate it.

Thank you!

Andreas
Gimp does not come with any fonts. Initially it uses system fonts and then any that you might add.

This from one of the Gimp devs "Sans" (called "Sans-Serif" nowadays), are font aliases defined by the fontconfig library, which is used by GIMP to organize fonts.

You should look for Sans-Serif as a replacement in your new installation. One problem is when you click in the text with the text tool it uses a 'fallback' font, might be called 'Standard' in Mac. Do not worry about this, just change it back to Sans-serif from your font dialogue.

I only have an old OSX Virtualbox for demos, but this is text made in Gimp 2.8 and opened in Gimp 2.10

30 second demo https://i.imgur.com/oFzQyvO.mp4

You might also find the font as: Default sans-serif font in MacOS
MacOS (El Capitan and newer) San Francisco
MacOS (Yosemite) Helvetica Neue
MacOS (older versions) Lucida Grande
Hi Rich, thanks so much for taking the time for this, I really appreciate it!

Re: You should look for Sans-Serif as a replacement in your new installation. One problem is when you click in the text with the text tool it uses a 'fallback' font, might be called 'Standard' in Mac. Do not worry about this, just change it back to Sans-serif from your font dialogue.

This is exactly what has been happening to me.

Unfortunately, the fonts you named are all not the one I had in my version of Gimp. It really is a crazy problem to have
Quote:Unfortunately, the fonts you named are all not the one I had in my version of Gimp. It really is a crazy problem to have

These are not Gimp fonts. they are system fonts. What fonts do show in Gimp? It could be an installation problem.

However, try the attached helvetica neue  .ttf font. Unzip put it in your Gimp fonts folder. Might be a match.

Attached Files
.zip   helveticaneue.zip (Size: 55.25 KB / Downloads: 173)
(10-09-2021, 06:30 PM)Andreas Wrote: Hello everyone, I have used Gimp 2.8.22 to create visuals using the font "Sans", which I believe was the preset font after opening the program. I downloaded the newest version of Gimp - and cannot find that font anymore. I also cannot find it in any other graphic software.

Is there anyone who can help me locate this font or tell me how I can find it in a newer Gimp version/other software? Would much appreciate it.

Thank you!

Andreas

"Sans" isn't a specific font, it is the default Sans serif font on your system (possibly Arial if you are on Windows, but more recent Windows versions could have switched to Calibri). So you can't really expect reproducible results if you use it.
Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the input. So my Gimp shows a lot of fonts, I've tried many of them but cant seem to find the one. Helvetica Neue is also not it unfortunately Sad

I am on Mac btw.
You might have to accept a close match, I super-imposed that helvetica neue text over the Gimp 2.8 file with sans text I made, and it was a match, but my installation is not your installation.

I pulled the information in the earlier post about various Mac versions versus Sans alias from the internet.
You could try: MacOS (El Capitan and newer) San Francisco

The font is here: https://www.dafontfree.io/san-francisco-font-free/
(10-11-2021, 07:02 AM)Andreas Wrote: Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the input. So my Gimp shows a lot of fonts, I've tried many of them but cant seem to find the one. Helvetica Neue is also not it unfortunately Sad

I am on Mac btw.

The question is: what was the default Sans Serif font on the Mac where this picture was created. Because this is what "Sans" means. On y Gimp 2.10, creating text with the "Sans-Serif Bold Italic" font ("Sans"in 28 is "Sans Serif" in 2.10) gives the exact same output as "DejaVu Sans Bold Oblique" which is the default font.
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Cannot...4#pid26074
(10-09-2021, 06:30 PM)Andreas Wrote: Hello everyone, I have used Gimp 2.8.22 to create visuals using the font "Sans", which I believe was the preset font after opening the program. I downloaded the newest version of Gimp - and cannot find that font anymore. I also cannot find it in any other graphic software.

Thank you!

Andreas

The font is called Hiragino Maru Gothic ProN W4.  You can find it here: https://fontsgeek.com/fonts/hiragino-mar...ic-pron-w4, and someone has uploaded them here: https://github.com/sideroad/capturing/tr...ter/.fonts

I have no idea why this is the default "Sans" font, but I have this "issue" too.  Luckily, I really like this font and was confused why it wasn't the default when I upgraded to GIMP 2.10.

Cheers!